Battlefield Tours by helicopter

I don't know if you've come across this before. An aerial tour of the WW1 battlefields.

This is what they have to say on their website (http://www.battlefields.be)

"Our battlefield tours by helicopter offer you a unique way to discover Flanders Fields from another perspective. During the flight you will get a breathtaking aerial view on the war heritage in the region. We offer you 3 different sightseeing tours with each time another view on the fascinating war past.

During the 30’ tour you discover Diksmuide, Ypres, Passendale and Houthulst. The best-known memorials you fly above are the Ysertower, Trench of Death, Menin Gate and Tyne Cot Cemetery. During the 45’ tour you also fly over Heuvelland and the Irish Peace park in Messines.

Finally there is the 60’ tour, where the pilot follows the Yser until the Albert I Memorial in Nieuwpoort. During this last tour, you can enjoy a beautiful view over the Yser valley, the Belgian coast and all the other memorials. In a word: this tour offers you the ideal aerial view on the First World War!

Before take-off, we offer you a brochure which indicates the tours on a map. This can serve as a guideline during the flight. The brochure contains pictures and information about the monuments as well: a nice souvenir of an unforgettable flight!"

H1HU

I don't know about the real idea behind this formula of "sightseeing".

A battlefield (former) is a place to commemorate , in silence and with respect for the men who died there. It should not be a way to make easy money , not by selling souvenirs , nor by flying over it at a high rate with the passengers .

Let's honour the fallen on the traditional way , by paying our respects in front of the graves , while reading the names on the tombstones. We ow them more than a quick "fly by"..

I have to disagree - you can get a whole new perspective from the air and don't find it disrespectful at all. When we flew along the Normandy invasion beaches last year you get an idea of the bigger picture - it is highly recommended.