Challenger. One Carefull Owner

Dougy FV432

Hello All,

Does anyone know more about the Challenger that overturned with it's Oshkosh transporter on Thursday/Friday last week in Dorset. Can only find small article on the BBC news website, they only got one small picture and say it was the recovery version of challenger and it looks like the new type transporter not one of the Elliot and Sergents that where involved when the Sabres fell of on the M1 a year or so ago.

Regards

Dougy

Hello All,

Does anyone know more about the Challenger that overturned with it's Oshkosh transporter on Thursday/Friday last week in Dorset. Can only find small article on the BBC news website, they only got one small picture and say it was the recovery version of challenger and it looks like the new type transporter not one of the Elliot and Sergents that where involved when the Sabres fell of on the M1 a year or so ago.

Dougy,

Just been chating to one of my friends from Dorset and he drove past the accident. The Oshkosh cab was smashed and there was another Oshkosh tractor unit there, waiting to move the trailer. The Challenger was the CRRAV version evidently. They had to wait for a 100 ton crane to come from Colchester to right the tank. I have heard several stories on the cause, one being a shackle broke, another that the trailer suspension failed.

Richard

Hello All,

Sorry Cara but not sure about your link, just sent me to a log-in page for a forum. Hopefully if I've done this right this should be what I found.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4759377.stm

Hello Richard,

I suppose one of those possibilites could cause the other. If a shackle or chain broke the shift in weight to one side of suspension causing it to collapse and vice-versa. Do you know if they are air suspended trailers.

If you do find the article I find it funny how they've mention the loss of 10litres of fuel, think they missed a couple of zeros, between the vehicles there would have been a 1000litres surely,(would they have anti-spill devices fitted).

Dougy

Sorry, forgot the post had been moved to off topic, so you had to log in to see it.

Here is another pic later that night of it getting lifted. BTW I thought it was Warrior Bulldozer Unit, not a challenger.

image009_159.jpg

image006_560.jpg

Cara

x

Do you know if they are air suspended trailers.

If you do find the article I find it funny how they've mention the loss of 10litres of fuel, think they missed a couple of zeros, between the vehicles there would have been a 1000litres surely,(would they have anti-spill devices fitted).

Dougy,

The website is not available anymore, it was the Bournemouth Daily Echo, another news story comes up now.

I would be pretty sure that the trailer is air suspended. I recall an Oshkosh losing a tank off the trailer while driving around a parade ground when they were first introduced, makes you wonder if there is a problem...or that tight turns and speed taken are an issue.

Richard

It looks like a Challenger Armoured Repair and Recovery Vehicle (CRARRV) to me, this is what one looks like the right way up:

crv54.jpg

I have never seen a Warrior with a dozer blade on the front.

Chris