Towing a jeep

casper

Question

Is towing a jeep on an A bar legal ? (specifically behind a historic vehicle)

I've seen lots of A bars on jeeps but none bieng towed on the road. I ask this question as there is a topic in another part of the forum about vehicles bieng towed on spectacles/A bars.

Also where would I get an A bar for a jeep (legal or not)

Your views appreciated.

Kind regards

Casper

10 answers to this question

AFAIK not legal other than when removing a broken down vehicle a short distance . It is permissable to use an A frame towing device but the brakes and lighting on the towed vehicle must be linked in with those systems on the towing vehicle .

I saw a jeep a frame - obviously newly manufactured - on Wildenbergs stand at W&P , presumable waiting to be collected by a customer .

As part of the trailer regulations, the Jeep needs to have a mechanical method of applying the brakes in the event of a breakaway, completely independent of the Jeeps hydraulic system. This was the main reason I stopped using my braked A-Frame and switched to a flatbed trailer.

Steve

Towing any vehicle that HAS NOT broken down by use of an A frame is an illegal practice.

A frames are designed to be used as an emergency measure to move a disabled vehicle from a place of danger. This is why the AA and other breakdown organisations stopped using them.

Using them seems to be universal but as usual, if something happens and the traffic Police attend, you could be answering some awkward questions.

Also where would I get an A bar for a jeep (legal or not)

Your views appreciated.

Kind regards

Casper

Try John Wright 01753 889522, his son (Shaun?) makes them, totally accurate copies of the originals.

Just drive the bl**dy thing ;)

We've had this discussion before here. Some people can't take the time off work to drive 800miles round trip to an event at 40mph, and I don't have the money to fuel that distance :angry I can tow the Jeep at 60mph doing 35-40mpg. For a show around 100 miles radius, I'll drive it, further than that I'll tow.

We don't all live in the south with thousands of events on our doorstep :rolleyes:

Towing is sometimes necessary.

Steve

I often see small cars being towed behind motor homes, and haven't heard of any legal problems with towing in this way.

The ones I've looked at have over run brakes on the 'A' frame, linked to the brake pedal by cable. Lighting is provided by a link cable between the two vehicles, using the lights on the towed vehicle much as you would use a towing board. I'm not sure how the breakaway works in the event of the towed vehicle becoming detached though. Presumably it is assumed that the 'A' frame will remain attached to the towed vehicle and merely apply the handbrake, as it would on a trailer.

I would have thought the biggest legal problem would be using an 'A' frame without braking, as the towed vehicle becomes a trailer over the specified weight for un-braked trailers.

I haven't fully read the article on towing on an a frame, so forgive me if I'm raking up questions that have already been answered. :)

We've had this discussion before here. Some people can't take the time off work to drive 800miles round trip to an event at 40mph, and I don't have the money to fuel that distance :angry I can tow the Jeep at 60mph doing 35-40mpg. For a show around 100 miles radius, I'll drive it, further than that I'll tow.

We don't all live in the south with thousands of events on our doorstep :rolleyes:

Towing is sometimes necessary.

Steve

Ha ha!

If you look at my original comment you'll notice there's a ;) smiley after it, which was meant to suggest the comment was tongue-in-cheek. If the jokey attitude didn't come across then it just goes to show the limitations of text communication.

I'm guessing from your choice of smileys that you're not particularly happy about something.