American Webbing and Uniform

Markheliops

Hi all.

Looking for some information on American webbing.

Now the Ward La France M1A1 is pretty much finished, I have been thinking about kitting it out so to speak. I want to add a few bits and bobs to hang from the cab etc.

I have been looking at various bits of webbing and I have come to the conclusion American webbing comes in two shades - Green and Tan.

Can someone please explain what the different shades are for and when they were mostly used.

i.e - My Ward is dated 1943/44 so what shade of webbing would be mostly associated with this period.

Is it a case of mix and match or is it a case of different theatres or time period.

I am also thinking about a couple of re-enactor events and would like to be wearing the correct items of uniform. I haven't really become involved in the re-enactor scene so I am asking for more advice with correct issue of uniform etc.

My vehicle is sign written as belonging to “A” Company 133rd Armoured Ordnance Battalion attached to the 11th Armoured Division.

As it's operator, my current period dress is made up of:

M41 Jacket (11th Armoured Div patch)

M43 Trousers

Wolly Pully

Green Tee shirt

M43 Buckle Boots.

Jeep Cap.

az.jpg

Now I'm not too worried about time periods, etc. I know an M43 Jacket should go with M43 Trousers but I would imagine servicemen generally wore what they felt more comfortable in, very much as we did when we were in the mob. I am been informed GI's prefered the M41 jacket to the M43?

I'm wanting to ensure the uniform displays the correct unit markings etc.

Enigma - what helmet markings should be used in your opinion - if it should display any markings.

Many thanks for any advice.

Markheliops

What you've got on is basically spot on...

HBT coveralls would've been de-rigeur also, and oily ones at that!

Or a lot of the recovery guys wore tankers gear, so tankers jackets, HBT's, boots (you've already got) or the Tankers Bibs... Althought the tankers gear is insulated and tends to be a bit warmer for summer do's. Mix n match I'd say... most of their gear ended up lagged in oil, grease and worse!

Helmet markings ida thought would be fairly minimal but Enigma will know the way!

The only thing i'd say is if the sunglasses aren't prescription...

back the truck over them

and get some period style ones Aviator copies etc or the round lensed wire rimmed type.

A bit of a minefield (pun intended) as the colour of webbing altered during course of the war from tan through darkening degrees of olive drab as the war went on. But given that you'd've trained and been issued with equipment during 'basic' tan would be fine. As the recovery chaps were more likely to need guns that fired grease than bullets, webbing would be fairly minimal...

M36 pistol belt and as you're a sergeant a belt mounted .45 1911 Colt Holster & 'peice' would be fine with clip pouch and maybe carlisle first aid tin pouch... although (and here the regulation book goes out the window) tank crews (with whom you'd be familiar with, working with and no doubt borrowing from) often had their .45 in shoulder holster. Althought the only downside to that is that the shoulder holster looks odd when empty as it has no flap to cover the grips of the gun, whereas the belt holster dosen't look out of place when empty... unless you're inclined to get a de-act 1911A1.

Hope some of this makes sense ;)

What you have said makes sense Bodge - Recovery guys normally begged, borrowed and stole to kit out their wreckers, etc.

The Ward is fitted with M1 Carbine holders but I don't fancy laying out for a de-act. I looked for a wooden one as it's only for show but then the VCR came in and balls everything up.

Cheaper option would be an M36 pistol belt, etc.

Yeah the VCR has made it difficult to get hold of a replica anything if you're not in a reenactment group & a decent deac Garand or Carbine is another layout on top the vehicle costs just to fill the rifle rack... and needs to watched over, padlocked, kept out of sight en route to and returning from shows etc etc... bit of a ball-ache really. Sold my deacs and replicas before the madness ensued!

A repro pistol belt holster & couple of pouches shouldn't be too expensive and looks every bit as authentic as the fully tooled up paratrooper...

As a rough rule, tan stuff was ETO, with most of the green stuff going out to the Pacific with the Marines.

All you need to carry as a driver/operator would be: Pistol belt with .45 side arm holster, canteen, carlisle 1st aid tin, and possibly the magazine pouch for 2 spare .45 mags.

With regard the 41 jacket. You could get away with it, but when the 43 uniforms were issued all older styles were removed from circulation so have a mint 41 jacket lying around would be unlikely. Its the same with the para stuff. Once the 43 unforms came in out went the 42 jumpsuits.

So to make it look awesome, get HBTs and work on your truck on those. The one thing that's always "wrong" on reenactors is the clothing being crispy clean.

Also, the Buckleboots were issued from the summer of 1944, if you want to portrait an earlier time then you'll need service boots (but you'd need gaitors too).

You missed a marketing opportunity there Enigma. Hang on, i will see if i can get it back for you.

I understand that recovery drivers had special markings on their helmet. The armoured division that they were attached to on the front and the registration of their truck on the side. On the inside is the Health and Safety warning "Will not protect your head if standing underneath a suspended tank and the cable snaps - you have been warned".

There, we will see if he orders one from you now.

Tim (too)

You missed a marketing opportunity there Enigma. Hang on, i will see if i can get it back for you.

I understand that recovery drivers had special markings on their helmet. The armoured division that they were attached to on the front and the registration of their truck on the side. On the inside is the Health and Safety warning "Will not protect your head if standing underneath a suspended tank and the cable snaps - you have been warned".

There, we will see if he orders one from you now.

Tim (too)

Hi Tim

Yes, you're right. But I gave information I thought was correct.

However, you seem to know what you are talking about (unlike me :blush:).

Looking forward to more info (and opportunitys to improve sales).

Photo's if available would be most appreciated!

• 2 months later...

Hi all -

Have purchased a number of reproduction items from a well known source.

Items are tan in colour. They are as follows:

Despatch Case

Colt 45 pistol web set

M1936 Musette Pack

M1942 water bottle set

Large Ammo Bag

M1928 Haversack Service Gas Mask Bag.

I would like to "weather" their appearance so they don't look all new and shiny -

Can anyone suggest a proven method of achieving the desired effect.

I was thinking of just leaving them in the garden and letting the weather get to them - a bit!!!

Many thanks

Markheliops

Definitely one for an "expert". This would be very interesting to me. I suppose there are several methods. I remember one person telling me about dragging things around from the back of a motor vehicle to get them a bit battered. Not sure this is ideal. I don't know if you could fill then with something solid and knock them about a bit to soften them up and acquire a used shape???

I'll shut up.

Hi all -

Items are tan in colour. They are as follows:

Despatch Case

Colt 45 pistol web set

M1936 Musette Pack

M1942 water bottle set

Large Ammo Bag

M1928 Haversack Service Gas Mask Bag.

I would like to "weather" their appearance so they don't look all new and shiny -

Can anyone suggest a proven method of achieving the desired effect.

I was thinking of just leaving them in the garden and letting the weather get to them - a bit!!!

Many thanks

Markheliops

Hi all -

Markheliops

I am sure Enigma will tow them around Beltring on his scooter for you, for a couple bottles of Cola.:-D

Ashley

Dont forget gear was issued as new at some point, so it would look new. Go on be a devil pretend you have just been kitted out with all new gear from the QM ready for the start of a new operation.

Other than that as stated before just wear the stuff around the garage/garden, soon gets dirty.

My two pence worth

Good luck with your re-enactment.

Paul

Good point Paul -

I have taken on board some suggestions but can not face the thought of dragging my birthday presents from the other half round the farm yard -

There is no way she would see the funny side of it!!!

Could always get Vince to use the stuff - he's always knee high in the s--t.

Markheliops