Landrover series 3 Diesel conversion

paul connor

Question

Ok, what is needed?

I know there are normal and turbo diesel models in the engines.. what is best in a series? without having to uprate the suspention and the brakes to cope with it all?

Is it poss to even do the mod without having to move the grill and bits about?

Woul I just need need the donar engine and ancills or is there more needed? does it mate to the gear box and drive train etc

I know someone willl know more, many thanks

Also is there any probs doing this to a 24V FFR, would I have to change to 12V?

2 1/4 or 2.5 non turbo should I belive mate straight to the gearbox You'll have to plumb in fuel filter, fuel return and electrics for the heater plugs

The landie's looking good saw you on Satuday on the old Shoreham Road

Or if you want to do yourself a real favour, get a 2.8 or 3.1 Turbo Isuszu engine, also fitted to the Vauxhall montery. The diseil tha Land and Range rover should fit. the Australian Perentie uses the 2.8 and I have one in my Range Rover. Absolutley reliable bomb proff and a joy to use. Just don't overfill with oil, the turbo don't like it. Very litle mucking about to fit.

2 1/4 or 2.5 non turbo should I belive mate straight to the gearbox You'll have to plumb in fuel filter, fuel return and electrics for the heater plugs

The landie's looking good saw you on Satuday on the old Shoreham Road

If going to a later Land Rover engine you may have to drill out the holes in the bell housing from 3/8" to 10mm.

All Land Rover diesel models are fitted with heavier duty front springs to take the greater weight of these engines. If yours aren't in the best of health may be wise to change them.

If your going Turbo or TDi I would certainly uprate the brakes. Going to LWB spec dual cylinder front brakes and front cylinders on the rear is the usual modification carried out by V8 converters. The stage 1 V8 brakes are even better but not for SWB use.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

I personaly wouldnt use any L/R engine that was pre 200 tdi,the S1 that was best at brighton had a 2.7 nissan diesel which he says was very easy to fit,80mph 40mpg.i have a l/r 5 brng n/a in mine and it makes 70mph but ther slightest slope kills it,i have an overdrive to split 3rd gear on the hills otherwise its painfull,i should uprate it,the older i get the faster i seem to go.

Sorry R Cubed, was replying to Chris. I agree the Japanese disiels are superior to any of the landie Lumps. The 2 1/4 espedially was done on the cheap, a petrol bottom with a disiel head, I know shove the injector pump down the distributor hole. I've driven Daihatsu diseil Daihatsu. They are very strong in lower torque but HUGE!! Sorry you won't get me of fthe Isuzui, the abuse mine has taken and survived, total costs in about 200,000 miles a new injector, the fuel got contaminated, and she will shove the beast up to 90mph even with the winch and junk in the back. For bits etc, try Feather Disiel, Isuzui recommended them to me and boy do they know thier stuff and do quick high quality work at resonable prices.

The diseil tha Land and Range rover should fit. the Australian Perentie uses the 2.8 and I have one in my Range Rover.

Sorry, :nono: have to correct you here, the Australian Perentie used the Isuzu 3.9 engine. The 4x4 were normally aspirated and 6x6 were turbo.

Having had experience of the 6x6 , had to take an Aussie army driving test in one, before we could take it out to the bush.

another long story, will save it for another day :)

Is the 2.8 Turbo Isuszu anything like the 2.8 Turbo Daihatsu ? as I am in process of putting one in a Range Rover classic.

The only engine i have found acceptable(that doesnt meen good) was a mazda 35slt,i dont know if its still about.All down to horsepower if you take out 185hp and replace it with 110hp it speaks for itself.The average is 100hp per ton for reasonable performance.Of all the conversions i have come across the owners only talk of 27mpg with the difference in price unless you do huge milage is it worth it.i have a car on the books s1 station wagon well sorted low compression 155hp o/drive rr diffs 100mph.normal driving same mpg.dont forget you wont be allowed into london soon in your smelly old diesels:rofl:

Sorry R Cubed, was replying to Chris. I agree the Japanese disiels are superior to any of the landie Lumps. The 2 1/4 espedially was done on the cheap, a petrol bottom with a disiel head, I know shove the injector pump down the distributor hole. I've driven Daihatsu diseil Daihatsu. They are very strong in lower torque but HUGE!! Sorry you won't get me of fthe Isuzui, the abuse mine has taken and survived, total costs in about 200,000 miles a new injector, the fuel got contaminated, and she will shove the beast up to 90mph even with the winch and junk in the back. For bits etc, try Feather Disiel, Isuzui recommended them to me and boy do they know thier stuff and do quick high quality work at resonable prices.

Sorry to correct you here but the 2.1/4 was based on the 2.0ltre diesel.i have made diesels out of petrols complete with petrol fywheels,rev like mad but hills not good lacking carryover from flywheel.

Not having a good night am I? As far as the BMC's the old Taxi engine I had a Series 3 Safari with a 2.2 in that eventually wore out got an Ex marine use 2.2 and 2.5, £80 the pair both had been frosted, 2.2 had a cracked head 2.5 had cracked bloke. I cobbled the two together and they worked. Very good for towing but not exactaly speed machines. The vehicle was sold eventually, much to families distress, my son missed be born in her by about ten miuntes, he was three months prem. I think she was bought and rebuilt so if anyone knows the whereabouts of NES841H I'd love to know.

Lets go back in time when the old 2.2 bmc diesel or the perkins 4.203 were the fittment of choice:rofl::rofl:

I have seen them in RRs in days gone by where an overdrive had to be fitted to make them reach 55mph

Tony is raving about Jap but lots of Jap engines are licenced built perkins,admittedly refined but the rootes are British.:pfrt:

I have seen them in RRs in days gone by where an overdrive had to be fitted to make them reach 55mphTony is raving about Jap but lots of Jap engines are licenced built perkins,admittedly refined but the rootes are British.:pfrt:

That fast?

Sorry to correct you here but the 2.1/4 was based on the 2.0ltre diesel.i have made diesels out of petrols complete with petrol fywheels,rev like mad but hills not good lacking carryover from flywheel.

Quite right CW,

The 2 1/4 block was designed for the DPA pump, that is why it is such a large mounting point, to fit the distributor an adaptor was fitted, diesel was in the mind of the designer from the owrd go. Problem is that these old Rover diesels were not expected to do high speed road work, most were used by farmers, etc and pottered about at country lane speed. You cannot knock the design as it dates to late 1950's, the Japs have come along late and learnt lessons of others, same in every field, m/cycles, cars, trucks, you name it.

There are many engines that were made as petrol or diesel, take Bedford 300, or Meadows, the one in the Explorer was a diesel converted to petrol, the other way around.

Actually we have got right of track here, what about looking at Paul's problem another way, I guess you are after cheaper running costs, why not think about gas conversion?

Oh well Catweazle, No problem there! Just a pity we never developed them oursleves. As for the old 2.2 I got given apicture from a friend who had ben in africa of an old 2.2 being used for pumping water the block had a split in the side, so a pipe had been fitted that ran part of the water pumped into the top of the engine, with a bucket and pipe under the crack. Apparently the thing ran 12 hours a day.

V8 petrol Gas ,i hate gas its for cooking,but i supose if you need the economy makes sence,Quite right Richard doing what they were made for they were ok,i infact prefered the two litre as it had wet liners,and you know how i like a wet liner engine.

Tony the rest of the world manage in circumstances we cant imagine,i too have seen these things ,thats why our world is not really the real one.I dont think theres a simple answer to the question.I have a deawoo matiz ,dont laugh.33.000 miles one owner 3 cyl 85mph the worst mpg at fast speeds 40mpg all for less than any conversion,that saving i put towards petrol for the champ/landrover/boat.just a thought.Oh i forgot it cost £800.

What is the spec HP ect of the Isuzu 2.8 presumably its an ally block ?

The simplest conversion is the 2.5 Sherpa version of the Landie 2.5N/A, injector pump misses OS engine mount, I did this to a series 3 I owned. Forget the TD. 200tdi is a popular conversion, you have to squeeze in the intercooler etc though. A few have done the 200tdi and done away with the turbo etc reducing it to a NA. Td5s have even been fitted!

Another popular conversion is the Perkins TD out of a Montego, very good in SWB and cost peanuts, Dudleigh Engineering do the kits.

If you want to go Jap (yeugh, personal opinion!) there are several companies that do the conversion kits. Problem with this route is that the cost of adaptors, bodged exhausts etc adds up considerably.

Trawl some of the main Landie forums for a ton of advice on this.

The worst conversion historically was the York 6 cyl diesel in a Rangie, a guy asking questions about one a long time ago was asked had he intended to build a high speed tractor!

Have to agree about the york,we had them on compressor trucks got fed up jump starting them,i would be interested in 200tdi without intercooler if anyone has first hand experience,Cant go on the Landrover forums the first thing that winds me up is Landie?Rangie? and Series what ruddy series.

The only engine i have found acceptable(that doesnt meen good) was a mazda 35slt,i dont know if its still about. 100mph.normal driving same mpg.

Agreed, the bogs dollocks had one in my 110 for in for around 18 yrs now, burns no oil instant starting, only thing is the starter motors, had 3, around £400 each + 1 starter ring! I do a lot of starting though!

Pulls big tyres, RR transfer gears plus overdrive, 4speed box still holding up!