Gunboat engine rebuild (again)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Caterpillar D366,V8 quad cam 4 valves per cyl turbocharged aftercooled 400 hp.

These engines were fitted to the Vosper/Nelson 70ft gunboats.

So what happened,good question.We were practicing for the Cowes Torquqy race as start boat,we had equaled our best speed this year,remarkable as we were still on our plastic padding props.31 knts.

It was a bit rough but it helps to get a little airborne.

In the time it took to hand the wheel to Chris the Gee boat owner the

water temp shot up to 200f thats not quite boiling.An engine shut down followed.Back at the dock i checked oil water etc all was good.

I started the engine and it was on 7cyl.My engineer thinks we picked up a plastic bag on the sea inlet.i am not so sure.

Compression test shows not a lot,in fact nothing,strange.I checked the sea inlet nothing ,but the bag can fall off when the engine stops.

horatia001.jpg

So lads lets have your ideas as i dont have much experence:rofl:

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose the simple one of a valve stuck open would be too much to ask for?

The fact that you were asking for a piston and liner in another post leads me to suspect it's a lot more serious!

Hi i was joking about the piston,but i expect it will come back and bite me in the asre,this side had new liners 2yrs ago.Checked both the inlets they were ok ,didnt get round to the exhausts,i was hoping for a broken vave spring,but it could of done that without getting hot.You cant even here it chuffing.

well if just outside of the ilse of wight you sure you never picked up a floater from out the water as common round there from the navy flushing the heads:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I dont know what you meen Sir.:-D

If there's no compression it's got to be valves or piston.

Hasn't it?

I dont want to answer that last time it cost 2grand and thats without labour.pass me the match.:shake:

Thats one hunk of metal for that engine lifting point ! and judging by the limited access on the hull side I d guess its going to be a repair job done out of the vessel ? How difficult is it to extract the engine then ?

Its can be done but its all the repair work on the hatches etc that puts you off,each engine and box weighs 2.50 tons.we have done it before will post some pictures up.

Top of piston come off or piece broken off a valve ? We used to have a piece of equipment called an endoscope, could poke it down the injector hole and have a look around the cylinder, everything magnified and lit up, marvellous for this sort of thing.

Hi Richard ,yes good bit of kit only problem is we have indirect injection so pre combustion chamber gets in the way.:argh:

Sorry to hear of your troubles CW, can you get the head off without removing the engine?

Hi,yes we can will post a few pics of the last disaster later.

Picture022-1.jpg

Yes i really did have the ache.Inlet manifold,aftercoolers removed,also camshafts.

The yellow object in the in the left hand corner is the header tank,its made out of cast iron and weighs about 160 lbs.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

Picture023-1.jpg

The head is 4valve per cyl,with pre combustion chambers these are screwed into the head,they take the injector and heater plug.

Picture019-1.jpg

The head weighs about 150 lbs.we had a job to pull/push it thro the hatch,we then slid it down a ladder into a trolley,hopeing momentum wouldnt take over and take the trolley and the head over the side.

Edited by catweazle (Banned Member)

In the second picture that head looks remarkably clean! Is that before or after? Doesn't even look like it's had oil round the valve springs.

Can't you swing a handy boom across from an adjacent vessels mast to assist in lifting heavy item's out of your hatch?

Whilst the owners are away of course :whistle:

In the second picture that head looks remarkably clean! Is that before or after? Doesn't even look like it's had oil round the valve springs.

It could poss be after,Andy is very thorough he may of cleaned it down before removal,i spent most of my time in the bilge as he was to big to get under.