Another J Type on the way !

Tomo.T

On 2/19/2019 at 5:48 PM, nz2 said:

Now with a clean chassis can yo check for any numbers and letters stamped about the top of the King pins.  I have been recording these and trying to relate the sequence of stampings to chassis numbers and years.  The idea being to assist in dating individual front axles that survived as trailers.

Doug

Here you go Doug. These marks are on the outside top of the axle arms.

First is the KF logo for Kirkstal Forge  (with the K reversed.) on the right LEEDS. The number reads 15191 and this is not the Thornycroft part No. On the nearside is the same stamp but two of the No's 1, I think have been stamped upside down, giving a misleading impression of an' L' and a 'T' ! Perhaps they may have had the apprentice on this job ! I have taken pics so you can make your own mind up.

Tomo

20190223_114059.jpg

20190223_113919.jpg

Thank you for the images. Are there any other stampings about the curved sections to the sides of that face?. I have found marks there. Still somewhat muddling and confusing as to working out any sequence to fit chassis number, dates or what. The more data collected up, the greater the chance of being able to piece some link together.

Doug

Although I'm not looking for a pristine finish,  I am out to remove rust pitting from visible areas by strategic use of 2k body filler. The plan is to loose the pits but keep any dinks and dents which are part of the lorrys history. I am on home ground with this, having been involved with traction engine restoration for many years.

Here's a pic of progress so far, also a good view of the modified dumb iron previously mentioned.

20190224_163423.jpg

20190224_163536.jpg

An alternative for filling rust-pits is knifing putty. I think it is really intended for scratches, but it works OK for pitting and can be used straight out of the tube without mixing. It's more like a very thick paint than a hard-setting filler. 

It is one of those things that has many names,  knifing putty, stopper, glazing putty (and that last one can really cause confusion...) 

You can get Holts Cataloy from Halfords, though I have a huge tube of something else picked up at an autojumble that seems rather better. 

My preferred weapon for this purpose is U-POL Top Stop Gold, now part of the Easy 3 range of 2k fillers. The problem with single pack stoppers is that they are air drying and thus not suitable for anything other than minor blemishes. I much prefer the positive chemical cure of 2 pack. It does not shrink or fall out and will dry in depth.

1 hour ago, Citroman said:

Other question doesn't this type of wheel collect dirt inside?

Yes they do. More worrying is the inability to drain water collected within the wheel. This is a bit of a design fault and can lead to serious corrosion in some cases. Despite this, most of these wheels have survived well beyond their expected life.

Filling and priming the chassis continues, also the front springs have been temporarily replaced in order to get the job mobile in preparation for a potential move to better premises.

As far as I can discover, the Military J type was not normally fitted with a rear towing hitch, but 2393 has a solid tow bar with central hole, presumably intended for towing something ?

20190305_150621.jpg

20190305_150707.jpg

I recently discovered the remains of an 'A' series chassis with a very similar fitting. the question is, was the tow bar on 2393 original or a later addition. Any Thornycroft experts care to comment on this ?

20190228_163119.jpg

20190228_163046.jpg

Edited by Tomo.T
Similar not same

Very satisfying to get some Service Colour on the job. This colour was matched to the inside of an original storage box dated 1917. The colour  spec has been recorded and is available from Craftmaster.

The second picture also shows the short dumb iron as originally supplied by Thornycrofts. This one is a rare survivor !

20190307_145433.jpg

20190307_145303.jpg

Edited by Tomo.T
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

More progress in detail. Painting has been a bit sporadic due to the varied weather conditions. Some parts are waiting on Stan for some more welding.

Changes are happening and I have been to see the most incredible workshop, where the project will be moving, hopefully next month.

20190313_150455.jpg

20190313_145931.jpg

20190313_150018.jpg

20190313_150104.jpg

20190313_150247.jpg

20190313_145641.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Warning, this will be a long story in several instalments !

A few years ago I was asked to research a likely unit for John Marshall's Thornycroft J Type.There being no surviving records of actual vehicle placements in the Great War BEF. Being an early 1915 model it would have been amongst the first ASC unit arrivals on the Western Front, which utilised this make of vehicle. This helped to narrow down an otherwise Herculean task. After much studying of war diaries I eventually settled on 60 Coy (MT) ASC who were involved from the start as 1 Divisional Ammunition Park. The diaries of this Unit were particularly well nourished with information and I was able to extract some actual WD No's of J Types under their command. This unit were actively swapping out non Thornycroft lorries until they had a full compliment of 83. ( This practice was officially sanctioned to ease parts storage. ) They also had a colourful unit badge which I endeavoured to copy onto the scuttle plate.

This badge was noticed by the Bursar of Pocklington School when we attended the Remembrance Parade in 2018 and he informed us that he was once the 2nd in Command of our adopted unit ! This came as a bit of a surprise as the diaries had indicated that the unit was disbanded in 1918 and although elderly, he was no centenarian. He replied that 60 Coy. RASC had been reformed after the War, had then become 60 Sqn. RCT and were in fact still in existence as 60 (CS) Sqn. RLC. based at Abingdon,  Oxfordshire.  That is an amazing coincidence as I live about 8 miles away !

To be continued.

5a82127a15565_page4.JPG.dec4b75c064b317df8feb8c27dd995be.JPG

20180805_200748.jpg

Edited by Tomo.T
Spellin.
  • Like 4

Sorry to keep you in suspense.

The next development was a phone call from the 2 IC  60 Sqn. RLC. Wanting to know more details of John's J type. He had been contacted by our friend the Bursar. It transpired that the  unit was due on exercise not far from John's place in Yorkshire in two weeks time. Would we be able to bring the lorry and meet the guys in the field, as it were ? " Oh yes," I said "I'm sure that could be arranged ! " Two weeks later we were ushered into the camp in the middle of a full tactical exercise 'Somewhere in Yorkshire' ! We were welcomed by all except the weather, which was proper Yorkshire. The Thorny was much admired although somewhat dwarfed by the Squadrons' MANN 10 tonners.

The CO came to have a look and we were introduced, judging my moment had arrived, I went for an all time cheeky ask." Would you have any room for a similar project at Abingdon ?" I asked. " Yes." He said," I don't see why not."

Final instalment tomorrow.

IMG_1975[3699].jpg

• Like 1

The above events took place in November and it has taken until now to obtain the necessary permissions to gain access to 4 Reg. LAD workshops, where the REME look after the vehicles of 60 ( Close Support ) Sqn. RLC amongst others. Moving day for 2393 coincided with the CO's leaving do and John Marshall  brought down his 'J' type to transport the CO from his farewell ceremony to the gates of the camp. An honour and a privilege for us and the first military duty for J type 2282 for some considerable time. We were also accommodated in the Officers Mess !

A few pictures from two busy days. The Mushroom sign is the current emblem of 60 Sqn. ( Fed on bullsh*t and kept in the dark !) As you can see there is no shortage of space in the workshop which was previously a WW2 aircraft hanger with the RAF. In addition the REME lads have provided a storage cage for parts and a work bench with vice. Let battle commence.

20190403_155826.jpg

20190404_143510.jpg

20190404_143620.jpg

20190407_161359.jpg

20190407_161432.jpg

20190407_161602.jpg

Edited by Tomo.T
  • Like 2