Quick Quiz...

Redherring

Question

quiz1.JPG

Hi all. I was about to start a thread about this... and then I thought about how I have enjoyed Clives quiz over the years. So maybe we'd begin with a quiz. Hopefully someone will reply! Sorry if I'm a bit slow on the replies. I don't tend to hover over my computer; but I'll try tonight. Cheers Robert

Oh. So what 'was' BK?

18 answers to this question

Bradford Kendall Ltd cast the Sentinel hull

Almost, but as they say in the classics, no cigar.

Yes. Bradford Kendall. My understanding is that this Australian company managed to cast while other nations were still welding. An offshoot of BHP; and ahead of their time.

AH?

So here it is... Australian Cruiser Tank (AC1) number 8028 (or possibly 8023) with AH37 / H(Hull)32.

The Australian Tank Museum (ATM) exhibits 8030 - AH31 bolted to H38. As you can see the manufacturer wasn't fussed about matching numbers. And that's true of all the existing units of which there are approximately fourteen (14). Of these there are complete versions at Bovington (8049) and the ATM. There are perhaps one or two others that are reasonably complete. The rest have been heavily cut down. I only know of three turrets. And then there are the two AC3's. But that's another story.

AC1 As found.jpg

I've been wondering what to do with this! I suppose i had delusions that I would be able to cobble together enough parts to rebuild it. But after 15 odd years, and having found very little, i'm not so sure. I certainly don't want it to go to scrap.

So what do you do with a bit of very large and very heavy Australian engineering heritage. Large flower pot?

Cheers

Robert

AH37.jpg

If you look carefully you will see that this unit is missing a bogie. Someone has cut out a triangle on both sides to include the rear bogies on either side. Then folded the rear hull down almost to the ground and welded it up so that the rear idlers remain in operation - but almost at ground level.

So, being a little shorter I reckon it would fit in your hallway...

I would love it! What power plant is in it. Is it the original engines or has something been retrofitted? What are your plans with it? A complete version and a hull came up at the Melbourne auction about ten years ago, but they are the only ones I've seen outside of Pucka! The fact that they were cast makes it bloody difficult to retro engineer a new top half, but at the right price, it would be awesome just to have half a Cruiser! Cairns is a bloody long way from you, but thats never stopped me in the past.

OZITIM

It currently sports an International industrial motor - full of water when I got it - junk really. Does have its original gearbox. Some time ago I acquired bogies/idler wheels/spare sprockets from 'Corowa'. One complete caddy motor.

The original AC1 power pack could be removed as a unit from the hull, it comprised three cadillac motors, two side by side and one behind. Output shafts to a transfer case full of very noisy gears. Connected with unique(?) universal joints - astonishingly I managed to acquire a bucket! of these at the Hughes sale in Coburg. Apparently the AC1 could be driven by any one of its engines. Combined output 330 BHP.

And the NOISE in the hull. The "permanently deafening, you can't hear yourself think" type of noise - I can thank John Belfield for that experience.

Some time over the next week I will get a chance to take a few photos... Robert