Morris C9/B

MHillyard

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rob,

I have had a bit to do with the one at Firepower. It was originally restored by its owner in Essex or thereabouts, many years ago, there was a write up in MVT magazine at the time. I did some work on it at REME workshops when it stood outside the Rotunda museum. It seems it had a naval Bofors on it. Years later, when they set up the Firepower museum it was sent of to an artillery / gun restorer who, I was told at the time, was going to fit the correct type of Bofors on it. So be aware it is not a vehicle that has been kept together throughout its life.

regards, Richard

Ah...................come to think about it you are quite right Richard and the restorer in question..................well er !

It goes to prove you need to do your homework and networking is a very good place to start as this has just proved.

Rob...................rnixartillery.

Edited by rnixartillery

I've been flooding Ivor Ramsden with emails lately! I think I am right in thinking the he believes the most authentic one is in the Cobbaton Combat Collection in Devon or Cornwall

Martyn,

Tim Isaac has already posted on this thread regarding their C9B and he has stated the gun is not original to the chassis !

Rob.................rnixartillery

Martyn,

Tim Isaac has already posted on this thread regarding their C9B and he has stated the gun is not original to the chassis !

Rob.................rnixartillery

True. But in regards to other parts is regarded the more authentic vehicle. So it would seem no C9 has its original bofors?

True. But in regards to other parts is regarded the more authentic vehicle. So it would seem no C9 has its original bofors?

Well this is what you need to find out, if there is one thing I have learnt over the years is never think you know where they all are because its amazing what's lurking in sheds and collections that we don't know about !

Rob...................rnixartillery.

As I understand it, when all the surviving C9Bs were demobbed in the mid-50s they were sold without their guns which no doubt were put into storage pending further use. As a result I don't think there will be any survivors in the UK which have their original guns. There may be survivors overseas but I don't know which countries, if any, they were supplied to.

The Cobbaton vehicle was very complete and original when it turned up, although it was without its gun. the restoration looks to be very accurate apart from not having a gun shield.

Martyn, your vehicle has got some very early features (folding gun stay, holes for windscreens on the top of the dash panel and it's the only surviving one that I've seen which hasn't had armoured boxes fitted over the fuel tanks. This was a post-war modification but yours has still got its original thin tread plate.

C9B armour not.jpg

C9B armour.JPG

Yes, ours was without gun/platform but otherwise 99%, though some was pattern only. One day we`ll get round to the shield, sights and try to figure out the roof/skirt set up from the poles and few fittings we have. I`ll try and find the pics but they are on film or paper or some funny thing.

Hi Rob,

I have had a bit to do with the one at Firepower. It was originally restored by its owner in Essex or thereabouts, many years ago, there was a write up in MVT magazine at the time. I did some work on it at REME workshops when it stood outside the Rotunda museum. It seems it had a naval Bofors on it. Years later, when they set up the Firepower museum it was sent of to an artillery / gun restorer who, I was told at the time, was going to fit the correct type of Bofors on it. So be aware it is not a vehicle that has been kept together throughout its life.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard

I'm having some trouble sending private messages and I wondered can you please respond to this one and send a private message, so I can see my messages are getting through.

Cheers

Gavin

After some cleaning and furter emails to Ivor we have found out that this was most likely in fact the 26th Morris C9/B built. Making it probably the oldest surviving one and dating possibly from as early as 1942 in the first batch of production.

I dont intend to start much work before summer next year as other projects must come first but that leaves plenty of time for parts hunting which means I can crack on when the Gipsy is done.

Looking forward to getting started though! If anyone knows of any other parts (Morris or Bofors) please let me know!

DSC09494.jpg

To allow drive to the front axel for 4WD

As that gearcase stands above the gearbox and both outputs face rearward, I thought it was from a CS8 or C4 air compressor truck, with drive for rear axle and power take off for compressor. I rebuilt one of these gear drives about 37 years ago, so could be wrong though.

Didn't catch on to it going above the gearbox. Interesting

I am pretty sure it is from a 15cwt air compressor truck, but in the back of my mind, I think that some of the wireless trucks might have had a PTO driven generator and a possibility that was driven like this as well.

Just seen a certain forum member reading this thread and he owns the C4/AC that I worked on all those years ago, so he should be able to confirm identity.

Edited by Richard Farrant

I am pretty sure it is from a 15cwt air compressor truck, but in the back of my mind, I think that some of the wireless trucks might have had a PTO driven generator and a possibility that was driven like this as well.

Just seen a certain forum member reading this thread and he owns the C4/AC that I worked on all those years ago, so he should be able to confirm identity.

Hello Richard.

My C4 no longer has the compressor fitted, it was removed by two owners back I believe. The base section of the compressor transfer drive case remains with a flat plate fitted where the vertical gang of gears was fitted. I think you're quite right about box mentioned here.

Jerry

PS I thought the radio vehicle (gin palace) had the drive to the radio generator off the side of the gearbox in a similar set up to the tyre air compressor.

.... I thought the radio vehicle (gin palace) had the drive to the radio generator off the side of the gearbox in a similar set up to the tyre air compressor.

I hadn't realised that before, but you're right. I've got a parts book for the C4/WT which shows a side-mounted drive mechanism so it looks like the upright pto is only for the compressor.

Hello Richard.

My C4 no longer has the compressor fitted, it was removed by two owners back I believe. The base section of the compressor transfer drive case remains with a flat plate fitted where the vertical gang of gears was fitted. I think you're quite right about box mentioned here.

Jerry

PS I thought the radio vehicle (gin palace) had the drive to the radio generator off the side of the gearbox in a similar set up to the tyre air compressor.

Hi Jerry,

I know that the drive was intact when Monty had it, and it looked as in the photo of drive box in this thread. Was not sure about the wireless truck, thanks for confirmation as I could not find my C4 book to check.

regards, Richard

Hello Richard.

Jerry

Jerry, is this, then, an opportunity to obtain the missing transfer case if they were not used on Bofors vehicles?

trevor

Hi Jerry,

I know that the drive was intact when Monty had it, and it looked as in the photo of drive box in this thread. Was not sure about the wireless truck, thanks for confirmation as I could not find my C4 book to check.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard

A couple of pics from the C4 manual, not v good at adding pics, I hope they're legible.

Jerry

c4gennypto100.jpg

c4comppto099.jpg

Jerry, is this, then, an opportunity to obtain the missing transfer case if they were not used on Bofors vehicles?

trevor

Trevor

It's already pretty snug in the cab, when you get the mangle fitted, where will I go?

PM me if you're serious.

Best

Jerry