1944 Bedford OYD

peter75

I have started cleaning and painting the engine block and other parts this week.

IMG_20160426_192107.jpg

I have got most of the parts striped off the bulkhead to day ready to start welding it up. Most parts came off OK with a bit of a fight. The speedometer is still free and looks to work. The housing of the main switch fell to bits when undoing the wiring but I will use the parts to modify a post war switch I have. The fuse box has a small crack in the base and some stuck screws in it. I will clean it up but may replace it.

I hope it is a bit warmer this weekend to motivate me to get the welding done.

Peter.

Spent to day welding the bulk head, slow but steady progress.

IMG_20160430_150355.jpg

I had to start somewhere so I started with the area around the traficator as it was right in front of me and worked out from there.

IMG_20160430_210042.jpg

More welding tomorrow.

Peter.

IMG_20160430_113836.jpg

IMG_20160430_114637.jpg

IMG_20160430_150727.jpg

IMG_20160430_160721.jpg

IMG_20160430_162604.jpg

Nice work, chasing the tin worm is always a slow process.

I'm particularly impressed with how you formed the bulk head rain gutter , Iv'e stored that idea away for a another project...... thanks for posting :goodidea:.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

Welding British trucks is always a challenge due to the thin metal. I did the cab mounts and footwells on Dodge WC63 for a mate earlier this year and the metal was twice as thick or more as the Bedford.

Peter.

Well Sunday turned into a bit of a disaster. First thing I did was check the welding from Sataday and I saw a small hole in the top of the foot well which with a poak with a screwdriver became a large hole which was hidden on the outside by wood work.

IMG_20160501_110803.jpg

I started cutting out the rot and got the first patch welded in OK.

IMG_20160501_140153.jpg

Then I went to weld a patch in the panal in the top of the foot well and before I had half the panal welded in it had gone in all directions. I Finnish welding the panal and was so piss off with the mess I just left it.

This morning I went out and ground down the welds and after a lot of hammering got the panal looking something like. There is still a slight high spot but I can live with that. My only thort is that there is a pressing in that panal and there was some stress in the metal that didn't like the heat.

Peter.

IMG_20160501_115725.jpg

After spending most of the day sorting out Sundays mess I thort I wood have a look at the very large hole under the letf hand windscreen.

IMG_20160502_175435.jpg

I had got a pice of replacement panal but it was right hand side not left but with a lot of cutting and some reshaping I got it in place. I still have to spot weld along the bottom of the windscreen and some welding at the ends but ran out of time but I am pleased with the results.

IMG_20160502_212017.jpg

Peter.

IMG_20160502_175456.jpg

IMG_20160502_212009.jpg

Pete, it's all coming together by the looks of things! What is the capacity of the straight six Bedford engine?

Hi Alastair,

The engine capacity is 3,519cc, (214.7 cu.in.) giving 72BHP @ 3000 RPM.

Peter.

Looking good Pete, you must have a lot of patience. I bet you're pleased you had that Dodge to practice on.

Hi Chris.

All that welding to get you going and you do your back and are were layed up so you coulden't put it back together!

I hear it progressing now, hope you are soon back on the road.

Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

More pictures of the bulkhead.

One of the floor plates was so thin I had to replace it.

IMG_20160522_203918.jpg

The weather strip on one side had to be replaced.

IMG_20160525_192318.jpg

Although the bulkhead looked fairly good it has taken a afull lot of work and I hope the pictures give some idear of what was involved.

Peter.

IMG_20160522_155009.jpg

IMG_20160522_162019.jpg

IMG_20160524_204709.jpg

IMG_20160525_190716.jpg

Although the bulkhead looked fairly good it has taken a afull lot of work and I hope the pictures give some idear of what was involved.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

I can fully appreciate what you have done as I was taken out to look at this lorry years ago by a friend, but I knew only too well he would not have wanted to pay for all that work to be done, so steered him towards another lorry!

Well done, a labour of love..

regards, Richard

Every time I repaired an area I would find 2 more bits to do.

That's the worst bit about rust repairs; it feels never-ending, especially when you start trying to build out to somewhere solid, and that turns out to be not quite as solid as desired... :undecided:

The feeling of triumph when it's all sorted will be worth it, though. :)

Hi Peter,

I can fully appreciate what you have done as I was taken out to look at this lorry years ago by a friend, but I knew only too well he would not have wanted to pay for all that work to be done, so steered him towards another lorry!

Well done, a labour of love..

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard.

I think I bort the truck with my hart instead of my head. But it was the best one I could find at the time. Thing's are starting to take shape now, I can start on the engine and get the bulkhead blasted and then start framing the cab.

I have a lot of jobs done read to go.

Peter.

Peter , A picture of the clip for the traficator cable on my QL dashboard.

Will look for a more detail picture tomorrow .

Don't think there will be match difference between a OY and QL.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115482[/ATTACH]

Thanks Guy. I never thort of that. I will have a look at my QL cab and see if it is still there.

Peter.

That's the worst bit about rust repairs; it feels never-ending, especially when you start trying to build out to somewhere solid, and that turns out to be not quite as solid as desired... :undecided:

The feeling of triumph when it's all sorted will be worth it, though. :)

Hi Tamber.

It is nice to think I am almost there with the chasing of the tin worm and i can start assembling bits again.

Peter.

Yesterday afternoon I started to clean the internals of master cylinder and servo. I have a new leather diaphram for the servo which I have put in light oil to soak and have all new seals for the master cylinder.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115549[/ATTACH]

This morning I had a look at my QL cab and the clip that is missing on the OY was there and looked to match the broken clip and the marks in the paint on the OY. So I made a copy and welded it to the bulkhead I also rewelded an old weld that had cracked and filled another pit hole I had found.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]115555[/ATTACH]

The bulkhead is now ready for shot blasting.

This afternoon I pulled the OY out the greenhouse and presher washed the front down as it was very dusty.

IMG_20160529_194231.jpg

next job is to fit all the green part's to the chassis and plumb in the brakes.

My mate has striped and cleaned the oil pump and checked for where and it is in good condition. He has now taken the camshaft to press the gear and retaining plate on. This has to be set up with a feeler gadge.

Peter.

Yesterday afternoon I started to clean the internals of master cylinder and servo. I have a new leather diaphram for the servo which I have put in light oil to soak and have all new seals for the master cylinder.

IMG_20160528_112719.jpg

This morning I had a look at my QL cab and the clip that is missing on the OY was there and looked to match the broken clip and the marks in the paint on the OY. So I made a copy and welded it to the bulkhead I also rewelded an old weld that had cracked and filled another pit hole I had found.

This afternoon I pulled the OY out the greenhouse and presher washed the front down as it was very dusty.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115556[/ATTACH]

My mate has striped and cleaned the oil pump and checked for where and it is in good condition. He has now taken the camshaft to press the gear and retaining plate on. This has to be set up with a feeler gadge.

Peter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115557[/ATTACH]

IMG_20160529_114418.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]115556[/ATTACH]

Peter.

IMG_20160529_112117.jpg

Have a good look in to the workshop manual before you assemble the brake master cylinder to the brake servo as the adjustment can be a bit tricky .

The adjustment needs to be spot on and on my servo I honed the aluminium cylinder to have the inside really clean.

;) Guy

Have a good look in to the workshop manual before you assemble the brake master cylinder to the brake servo as the adjustment can be a bit tricky .

The adjustment needs to be spot on and on my servo I honed the aluminium cylinder to have the inside really clean.

;) Guy

Hi Guy, thanks for pointing out the clip on the QL.

A few people have said about the servo. I am going to try not to alter any thing just clean it up and change the leather diaphragm and hope I am lucky if not I will have to have another look.

Peter.