Ignition Booster

I believe Clive did an article about ignition boosters.

The short version is that they are not worth the money. They are cheaply made (sometimes consisting of nothing more than a pair of screws with a gap inside a plastic case. It's a like the 'fuel conditioners' and 'magnetic fuel molecule alignment' gizmos that are popular on the internet.

I'm sure people will be better able to advise you on how to get the best out of you 6v system without that sort of thing.

Here is a thread discussing them on a bike forum

http://www.visordown.com/forum/workshop/spitfire-multi-spark---anyone-used-one/249553.html

Edited by Toner
Adding link

Did use one once, vehicle still ran. Don't use it now, vehicles stilll runs. I could see no discernable diffrence.

Best advice for a 6 volt system, keep all the electrical contacts clean and tight, invest in one of Franks electronic ignitions.

Edited by Tony B

Snake oil on an old engine I fear - there is much more to be gained from just getting the system to the book spec - after all when they were made they seemed to fare OK.

I do remember a trick from a million years ago though to make an ailing coil work for its living and that was to splice a small button into the king lead - the wire (remember when plug leads and the like actually had wire in them?) was cut - one side was twisted into one hole in the button, the other went into the hole diagonally opposite leaving a gap between the two. Only when the coil had generated enough va va va voom did the power leap across (in the form of a spark) then on all big and strong via the dizzy to the plug.

Wrap a bit of tape around your button and bingo - an ignition booster. I think I will call mine the Hurricane booster....:-D

Thanks for the advice guys and the benefit of your experience. I'll work on the system and tighten up my nuts!!

Use the toothed anti shake washers on all the contacts. That's the easiest way I've found of stopping stupid problems. I've had a 6 volt Dodge WC54 for a couple of years now, intial problems were mainly timoing set way off -22 degress!- I did install one of Frank Jolleys electronic ignitions as I'd had one on my 12 volt Weapons Carrier for years with never a problem. I also cleaned and fitted the aforesaid toothed anti shake washers as from past experience with various vehicles most niggling starting problems are bad connections. They may appear clean and tight to the eye but still can work just that fraction loose enough to cause problems. An extra earth starp from battery to chassis is an easy insurance, also current flows on the surface of a conductor, so get large surface area cable as 6 volt needs double the amapage to generate the same power as 12 volt the equation is Voltage X Ampage = Wattage

Thanks for the advice guys and the benefit of your experience. I'll work on the system and tighten up my nuts!!

If you've not overhauled the starter Bill since I fitted it nearly 20 years ago (that's a scary thought) it would probably benefit from an overhaul.

regards

Pete