WW1 Officers Mess Cart Info

Hamble

The restored cart is on post no.14. Maybe you have to log in to see it? Curiously the thread was also started by someone who had the brass plate & wanted to know what the cart looked like. Although the plate is little different from yours.

The restored cart is on post no.14. Maybe you have to log in to see it? Curiously the thread was also started by someone who had the brass plate & wanted to know what the cart looked like. Although the plate is little different from yours.

Great War Forum I have downloaded the two photos from the GW Forum.

Regards Rick.

Cart.JPG

PA080343 - Copy.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Where would one find makers plates such as that? Would love a North Eastern Railway one - off the top of my head they made around 1,500 horse drawn vehicles during the war, so would hope there's a few out there....

The plates for most ww1 British wagons are fairly hard to come across despite so many wagons being built.

Most of the plates we have come across , the vehicles can be found in the cheap but excellent shire publication of "Discovering Horse-Drawn Transport of the British army book". Seems a pretty complete list apart from the officers mess cart .

Trying to find a specific Company like North Eastern Railway is harder because there was so many different companies involved.

A water wagon plate and Front limber for horse draw artillery. A few of ours are ground dug.

Data Plates 041.jpg

Does anybody have a list of the factory code letters for the wagon makers ?

20 02 2014 051.jpg

Edited by Hamble

• 2 weeks later...

I note in your plate collection one from a Ruston Water Tank Trailer. This is a curiosity question for anyone who may have an image (linked with MT) or some input re same. In November 1917 the Australian Corps was supported by a number of British Siege/Heavy Artillery Batterys. Each in turn were supported by a Siege Battery Ammunition Column (SBAC - motorised) and two of them, namely the 141st and the 182nd were each issued with a Ruston Water tank Trailer. Were these horse drawn equipment under normal circumstances and if so how were they moved from A to B or were they a similar trailer modified for use with an MT Unit i.e., mounted on the back of a lorry?? The 1st Australian Ammunition Sub Park at the same time was issued with a Clayton and Shuttleworth Water Tank Trailer and the same questions apply. Cheers Rod.

Answered my own question and included here for those interested with no intention of hi-jacking the thread. Just received some information from a very helpful chap in the UK who (enviably) has one of those nice and rare Manufacturer's Wartime Souvenir book from WW1. Basically there were three HT Ruston models, all with metal tanks and support structure sitting on wooden frames and wheels, in turn kitted out for horse however it would not have been too difficult to modify for travel behind a vehicle. The jewel in the crown so to speak is a 4th model which was a box shaped steel water tank sitting on a steel frame with closed, disc steel wheels and a single draw bar with eye - obvioulsy well suited for travel behind a lorry etc. Rod

• 7 years later...

Hello. Am I right in thinking this data plate for the mess cart can be replicated? I only ask because I have an M.S &Co 1918 mess cart and it's missing the plate. I have a reproduction plate but it's not an M.S & Co plate. 

James 

Sydney