Socket/mount on roof of Chieftain?

BRDM Driver

I was on the turret roof of a Chieftain and noticed a vertical socket near the rear radio antenna.

Any ideas what its for?

Different radio antenna?

Winky pot?

Sim fire sensor?

Meteorological sensor?

It appears to have an insulator between the connector and the base.

And on a slightly different subject what function do the two rectangular boxes of the front of the latest Scimitars do?

I assume some part of the ECM kit, but what exactly?

They are on a few of the afgan vehicles and are angled inwards to focus at a point about 5 feet in front of the vehicle.

And on a slightly different subject what function do the two rectangular boxes of the front of the latest Scimitars do?

I assume some part of the ECM kit, but what exactly?

They are on a few of the afgan vehicles and are angled inwards to focus at a point about 5 feet in front of the vehicle.

You know as much as I do!

BRDM driver, could you please post a picture of the socket please?

Clive, In your text on this you state that some first Gulf war Ferrets had them. Are there any shots around of that, there is someone on here trying to kit his Gulf war Ferret out and may need to put it on.

Im sure he would like to see it

Thanks in advance

R

Dont forget the Scimitars also have the big boxes with the spoiler on the back of the turret - give it some go faster stripes and gold wheels and away you go...

As for what it does - stops bad stuff going bang - what more do you need to know!

If you want to get it going I have all the circuit diagrams & PCB layouts. Its covered in:

EMER TELECOMMUNICATIONS B460-B469 Infra-Red Vehicle Mounted Detector

I have actually got the head mounted version but never tried it out.

Here is a pic of the IR sensor installed complete with SIMFICS kit too, but the socket I'm talking about is in a different place and does not appear on this picture. I will post a picture of the socket in question later today (it's on a stillbrew and TOGS equipped Chieftain).

ir detector.jpg

Here is a couple of pics of the socket in question, it's on Chieftain mk12 and Chally One. It's just behind the radio antenna on the loaders side of the turret.

challyone.jpg

I don't think it's for the IR detector as that appears to be a different type of connection and is on commanders side of the turret. The Khalid has the IR detector.

khalid.jpg

chieftain.jpg

OK that's settled then! Beacon it is!

Just out of interest, anyone know who owned the Chally one at W&P last year? Marked up KFOR 32?

I found a good picture of it, complete with winky pot light plugged into the roof socket.

chally one with light.jpg

Edited by BRDM Driver

OK that's settled then! Beacon it is!

Just out of interest, anyone know who owned the Chally one at W&P last year? Marked up KFOR 32?

I found a good picture of it, complete with winky pot light plugged into the roof socket.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86511[/ATTACH]

Terry Brooks is the custodian not sure if he is the owner though.

So after all that it turns out to be the winky pot...!

Reminds me of a story Lew told (works for bae and Alvis on Holyhead Road prior to that) and was on base inspecting a vehicle - turns out it had a defective beacon so Lew writes on the form 'winky pot not working' - apparently the ssm/asm or whatever went doolally!! Lew just walked off chuckling - good man though close to retirement but can still get in/out of a turreted cvrt like an 18 year old - years of practice!

Cheers

Timbo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
It looks like this....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86498[/ATTACH]

(old photo, I'd have to dig it out to take more!)

Chris

This kit was sold to Mark, but it never made it further than the Lincoln Hermes depot. I won't go into details, but there is no way I am ever using them, or Parcel2Go again.

If you see this on ebay, at a car boot sale or even in a skip please let me know!

Thanks.

This kit was sold to Mark, but it never made it further than the Lincoln Hermes depot. I won't go into details, but there is no way I am ever using them, or Parcel2Go again.

If you see this on ebay, at a car boot sale or even in a skip please let me know!

Thanks.

I use p2go but I won't use Hermes as I have had problems with them in the past like not turning up on the day you want the item collecting not just once mind you. I use UPS in conjunction with p2go up to now I haven't lost anything.... wheres the wood to touch.

I have the IR detector mast and all the internal boxes (no cables) for this system if anyone needs them!

Chris

Wouldn't get too excited. I am currently reading a Chieftain book for Army Rumour Service review. It discusses the IR mast and the author (ex 4/7 RDG apparently) posits that they were so much effort to calibrate at dusk and kept giving false positives all night that this was another of the many items of kit that never left the troop stores.