Land Rover Wolf 90 side hinged tailgate and pivlock wheel carrier, original or not

robin craig

There is an ex MOD LR Wolf 90 LP 35 AA currengtly on the Withams auction site (link here http://www.mod-sales.com/auction/vehicle/related/61195/Land_Rover_Wolf_90_Soft_Top.htm )

It has a side hinged tailgate and what looks like what I know as a Pivlock spare wheel mount on the back instead of on the side.

Can anyone comment on this difference from the norm?

R

Looks to be a standard swingaway carrier! The tailgate is hinged with normal door hinges but on the other side has two tailgate clamps??

Nice arrangment!

Like that but not quite mate.

The spare is on a tubular carrier and not directly against the tailgate.

Have a look at the images on Witham's site

R

Probably the same swing-away as Solihull fitted to various models of the Italian Carabinieri Land Rover Defenders, unit-fit as they are playing safe with a extra lower securing. The soft-top Carabinieri models would be fitted with the Optional Equipment (Export Spec. (Germany) side-hinged tail-gate (lower half door) that was rather expensive to buy in comparison to a basic tail-gate, I have one of these and IIRC , a rivet-counter can point out it is not just a factory converted standard tail-gate (hence the price).It only had provision for a upper standard door handle / latch assembly just under capping level.

• 1 year later...

Just saw in KiT! that came today, that on safety grounds the spare wheel is moving to the rear.

There are different wheel carriers & fixing kits depending on hard top or soft top. I can't see that it swings on a carrier, but that strange gusset & strapping arrangement continues.

If you take a look at the below link you'll find details under Modification Instruction No 42. The wheel carrier is made by Mantec but is to a specific design for the MOD. Looking at the pictures of the Wolf at Witham's, the conversion has only been partially completed because the modification also requires repositioning of the rear lights and fitting of a rear step.

The same link will be of interest to anyone with a Wolf because it is the full set of up to date Modification Instructions for the TUL(HS), TUM(HS) and Pulse fleet. They have been declassified and released following an FOI request I submitted last month. :-)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/405637/FOI2015_01547_Percival_Landrover_Defender_Wolf_110_Annex_A_AESP_2320_D_128_811_2_45-O.pdf

Looks to be a unit mod as you can still see the wheel marks on the canvas and the frame looks too new!

It would not be a unit MOD. That is a big no no in this day and age. The unit would get a Red on it's annual Equipment Care Inspection if ay vehicle was found with an illegal MOD. The good old days, when you modded your vehicle to make it more user friendly are long gone

I have seen one 90 Wolf in service with this spare wheel layout though, so I'm guessing it's an official MOD.