RAF (?) tractor used for towing what?

Hair Bear

6 minutes ago, ltwtbarmy said:

Funny, I looked up the picture on getty images, and right before the info you put up, it says “16th March 1945:”

https://www.gettyimages.ae/detail/news-photo/private-robert-oliver-of-the-us-army-trying-out-a-ransome-news-photo/3403389

Oh I was looking via google and that never showed up, how strange! Good to have a date tho, if only the photo was taken on a air strip in front of a plane.... ha ha quick someone edit it

• 7 months later...
17 minutes ago, Fltsgt2 said:

Could this be one of the original MG2 crawlers to have been tested? looks ot be a one coat original paintscheme with no other layers of paint visible under the od... ?

A couple of sites that may help:-

http://www.vhgmc.co.uk/survivors/ransomes-mg-register/

https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/14700-help-needed-on-raf-mg-2-cultivator

Only ID - Engine number TB6255, placing it somewhere between 1939-1940 production, and Magneto type is WICO776B which is right for the years, all other data plates remaining are not brass and have rusted out - stencilled across front bumper though 'max torpedo weight 2100lbs' ....plot thickens.

and yes - the hubs are missing the outer casings correct, as it's had spacers fitted on the axle stubs, look factory rather than 'bodged' at first glance to give the crawler a wider footprint for stability which might suggest a test set up rather than later agricultural improvement - largely based on the fact we can't find any other pics of mg2 crawlers with spacers used i have to say...anyway we'll bash on with the research and will eventually get to the bottom of it all 🙂

Now I look again, the first pic posted appears to have the same wider spaced track arrangement. My '38 ag spec (or should that be hort spec?!) is used for ploughing so is set up in a narrow configuration. I believe - without looking at the book - there were four width settings achieved by various swapping of wheels side to side, inner hub to outer hub etc., in a vaguely similar way to adjusting the rear track of Fergie or Ford with GKN style wheels.

I've just noticed it seems to have a tray under the engine, the only one I've ever seen other than mine.

Does it run?

Edited by Hair Bear

• 4 years later...