GMC CCKW Dump Truck

HWade

Well for those of you that are GMC fans here is the progress on a GMC dump truck restoration, the truck came to me in parts, the chassis was on wheels, every thing else had already been stripped, the original cab was in such a bad way that a donor cab was bought in from the US, Well stage one was to remove any od parts off the chassis before it went under the sand blaster, the chassis itself was good and solid without any damage, I would say it had been dried stored.Here is a pic of chassis after blasting then in primer. after a few days the chassis was topcoated. new brake pipes were fitted along with new flexi hoses, along with rebuilt wheel cylinders courtesy of past parts,the master cylinder was also relined along with new seals, the hydrovac was also rebuilt. as for the cab this was stripped and again went under the blaster and again primed, at this stage the doors were fitted to make sure that these all lined up, drivers side door fitted really well but the the passenger side did need some work, I called upon a friend of mine know to the forum Roy Baker popped over and helped me with the door.It now is all lined up and fits well, thanks Roy. The engine was overhauled sump removed cleaned ect, the engine was put on a stand and test run, all running ok good oil pressure, tappets adjusted new gaskets fitted, all painted up ready to go back in the chassis. the transfer box and gear box were cleaned and had new seals fitted.The rear diffs have also had seals fitted.The Subframe fitted with the tipping ram has also now been refitted, this was again blasted and painted ect.The engine, gearbox transfer box has also been refitted.The wheels have also been through the blaster, these have also now been painted and are waiting for the new tyres.Next stage to get doors painted, I also nned to get new glass cut for the windscreen and the door windows. All new cotton braded wire has been ordered so a new harness to make next week, well thats it for now I could go on and on but I think you can see whats going on. Thanks Howard

gmc tipper pics 014.JPG

gmc tipper pics 021.JPG

gmc tipper 004.JPG

gmc tipper 003.JPG

gmc tipper 011.JPG

gmc tipper 006.JPG

gmc tipper pics 013.JPG

gmcrebuild 016.JPG

gmcrebuild 005.JPG

gmcrebuild 008.JPG

gmcrebuild 013.JPG

Edited by HWade

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Degsy

Thanks for that, the truck is coming on nicely here is a few more pics of various parts that have been painted ect.there are a few pics before cab was stripped. There is also a selection of other pics, the restoration has has been a major overhaul, there has also been some repair work done to the wings welding of unwanted holes ect.The running boards have also had some repairs carried out to them, The instruments for the dash board are being sent of for the faces to be repainted. Ive been at it this morning trying to slit the windscreen for blasting ready for the new glass to be fitted along with a new rubber seal.Well thats it for now enjoy the pics. Howard.

GMC tipper retoration 004.JPG

GMC tipper retoration 011.JPG

GMC tipper retoration 008.JPG

gmc tipper 002.JPG

gmc tipper 003.JPG

gmc tipper 004.JPG

gmc tipper 018.JPG

gmc tipper 035.JPG

gmc tipper 022.JPG

gmc tipper 026.JPG

Very nice job! What year model is it? I used to own a late model GMC CCKW 353 H1 (phew!) with open cab, ex Ducth army, in the mid 90's. It was a good base for restoration, with a bit of rust in the lower parts of the body, but that was about it. Sold it a few years later as I had nowhere to put it. Didn't want to leave it outside to rust.

Goran N

Hello Gerry, just for you a few pics Ive got so many pics its a job to know what to put on, but i am sure they will help some one.

Personally I love to see plenty of pics. Its gives the rest of us some inspiration!

That is gonna be one nice truck!

Here's to looking forward to another great post with lots of pics. Nice set up Howard :cool2:, love the spray booth:wow: (and I spotted the Airborne Dozer too) Gerry

Do I get half a prize caus I spotted the booth but not the dozer!! Lol

Nice job you are ding there nd nice booth.....:D

Hello Gerry / Hoseman, glad you like the rebuild,oh yes and the paint booth, Its proved to be a handy bit of kit, the extractor fan came out of an old chicken shed, it really does draw the spray and fumes out of the box, the unit it self as you can see is an old curtain side body so when i have to spray a chassis i just pull back the curtain to get it in. I have another one of these boxes that i do the blasting in. Well enough of that. The body for the dump truck should be arriving one day this week, so that will go straight under the blaster ready for painting,I am still waiting for some parts like the choke and throttle cables, also waiting for the cotton braded wire to turn up,I am also looking out for a trumpet style horn. I would like to think by the end of this week that some of the wiring will be done and the rear body blasted and in primer. Eight of the wheels are in drab, I am just giving them a week for the paint to harden off a bit more before I refit the Tyres.Are keep you all up to date as it goes along. Cheers Howard.

Well a bit more done to the Dump truck today I managed to split the windscreen and get the parts blasted in the cabinet ready for priming, theres a small repair thats required on the frame, a few of the screws sheared off on the screen joiners, so these will need drilling out and re tap the holes.The outside centre bar was also a bit like a pepper pot lid, so i have fibre glassed the inside and will fill the outside and sand it down. The wire also tuned up today so I have started on some of the wiring this is very time consuming as each eye is soldered on ,and then a black heat shrink put on it.I also managed to get the side sills in drab.Another interesting thing is the cab still had most of the clutch head screws intact, and with a bit of heat and the right tool to get them out I have managed to save most of them to use again, for those of you who want the clutch head tool bit I managed to source them on ebay.Another nice little touch was where the cab bolts down at the front mounts the two small cover paltes were still them covering the bolt heads.heres a few pics. With regards to the question on who is restoring the gauges, I am still waiting to here back so at the moment I cant give you a name but as soon as I have a name I will let you know. Regards Howard

gmctipper 003.JPG

gmctipper 004.JPG

gmctipper 013.JPG

gmctipper 014.JPG

gmctipper 015.JPG

gmctipper 011.JPG

gmctipper 008.JPG

gmctipper 010.JPG

Edited by HWade

Hi Howard

Good to catch up yesterday and have a chat. As usual the standard of work is excellent and you have made rapid progress!! I look forward to seeing all the wiring going in and the dump bed being fitted.

It will be a great looking truck when you have finished it.

Hello Paul, yes it was good to catch up, and thanks for the donut,I am glad there were a few parts that might come in for the chevrolet, are have a word with Rob but I am curtain that he wont need them.I have done a bit more wiring today I got the two junction blocks fitted to the bottom panels that sit under the wings, I also got the feed to the junction blocks as well, I also got all the wiring from the cab through to the engine bay with temporary labels on, the wire will just need to be tied up together in a nice loom, I soldered all the eyes on and used heat shrink, the only modern wire is the loom from the engine bay to the back of the truck for the rear lights and towing socket, properly a french loom but it was so good it seemed a waste to discard it, and its out of sight anyway, it just comes up into the engine bay and picks up on one of the junction blocks couple of pics for you.I also got the screen frame painted today, I am off in the morning to get the new rubber for the rear window. The new seal for the vent on the scuttle arrives on friday along with new light switch and other bits. Thats all for now Folks. Howard.

gmctipper 001.JPG

gmctipper 003.JPG

gmctipper 002.JPG

The Restoration is still coming along, I have put the dials back in the dash to enable me to get the wiring done, the gauges will come out at a later date,I have cleaned the gauges and left the brass showing think this is a nice touch, I have now got most of the wiring in place along with the trailer socket, just waiting for some rear lights to turn up.\the dump body was delivered today so are take some before and after pic of this. I plan to get it blastered and primed either Monday or Tuesday.Thats it for now. Howard

gmctipper 011.JPG

A little bit more of an update, as planned the dump body was delivered yesturday, on further inspection today the area under the body that has a wooden section has rotted away so this will need to be replaced. All of the control rods for opening the tail gate are all intact and work as they should do.The tail gate is nice and straight as is the head board.All being well it will go under the blaster monday or tuesday.heres a few before pics, i have removed the head board, the head board stays, and the reflectors. Howard

gmctipper 001.JPG

gmctipper 002.JPG

gmctipper 003.JPG

gmctipper 004.JPG

gmctipper 005.JPG

gmctipper 006.JPG

gmctipper 008.JPG

I managed to get the partition out of the dump body, along with the old tool box, most of the body is now blasted and in primer, i am going to have to weld in some new metal where the hinged devider goes, it will also need the small wooden floor replacing. Are get some pics of the partition tomorrow. Howard

gmctipper 002.JPG

gmctipper 001.JPG