• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the container hold Kango hammers as an experiment for detonating acoustic mines before the ship got within range of them.

I'm very impressed with the range of possibilities being suggested. But this is nothing to do with sound, mines or torpedoes (although it is in a torpedo testing lake)

Another try, it's got a wire tensioner at the end, I think, it's got netting attached to it and a 2 ton weight to stabilise / anchor it which is wired to detect a contact which is transmitted through the 'water tight container sensor electrics? A sort of submarine netting / contact warning devise or similar? Jerry

Another try, it's got a wire tensioner at the end, I think, it's got netting attached to it and a 2 ton weight to stabilise / anchor it which is wired to detect a contact which is transmitted through the 'water tight container sensor electrics? A sort of submarine netting / contact warning devise or similar? Jerry

Jerry I can see what you are getting at but its not a submarine detector sort of thing

Shed info needed, is it just a shed or camouflaged to look like something else? Does it contain humans?

Bernard I'm afraid there are no drawings of the shed. It has no tactical reason to be camouflaged & it is not disguised to look like something else as far as I'm aware. So a shed GP I assume.

I expect there would be chaps inside to oversee the apparatus, but if I illustrate the apparatus it will give the game away & nobody would want to win because it was made too easy, would they? :-D

I've studied Google Earth,
That won't help although you can see the lake.

gone over everything I can find about Vernon. Stumped! :-\
I thought the game was up when mentioned HMS Vernon. So I searched for it & found stuff that I thought might lead one in the winning direction although you won't find a direct answer it can point you in the right direction.

Richard is about so you don't want him to pip you at the post like he sometimes does :-D

I for one am going round in circles now, punched in a few key words and Google came up with this thread...:banghead:

Bernard I've done a search that includes the answer & there were a couple of hits that linked the answer with Vernon. Although not to this particular research experiment.

"Extensive research and development was also carried to develop new anti-submarine devices, mines and ships' electrics. On 1 October 1923 Vernon was moved ashore and new departments were set up to cover aspects of maritime warfare, such as mining, torpedoes and electrical equipment."

No mention of chickens.