• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it for the footings on coastal defence forts like the ones in the thames?

The construction of these is a fascinating story. A brilliant piece of engineering design got them into precise position and upright. Here's a taster, but well worth investigating further. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunsell_Forts

Maunsell was the Southern Railway engineer responsible for this achievement. I think there is a book on it all but I can't find a link to it.

Stupid boy - the books references are in this wiki article :blush:

Edited by N.O.S.

Hmm

A sinker for anchorage, and a chamber containing equipment that has two conduit cable rung to the surface ( why two and not one, I wonder ? ) and a horizontal tether of some kind.

Maybe an anchorage point for tethering torpedoes to when measuring the thrust and duration of the propulsion system, something like that ?

Hmm

A sinker for anchorage, and a chamber containing equipment that has two conduit cable rung to the surface ( why two and not one, I wonder ? ) and a horizontal tether of some kind.

Maybe an anchorage point for tethering torpedoes to when measuring the thrust and duration of the propulsion system, something like that ?

Ingenious but nope.

The tank is a moveable Covert Anchor for Marker Light or electrical detecting device on top of conduits above water level.

If there is more to the tank than meets the eye, it may contain a generator for the light/equipment?

Either that or it is a buoy which can be pulled below the surface whenever necessary (though why is beyond me!).

If there is more to the tank than meets the eye, it may contain a generator for the light/equipment?

The initial reaction is you'd never put a generator in a chamber like that, but it would explain very neatly why there are two connections - one for air in, and one for exhaust out .....

Putting all that together it could be a submersible vibration, electrical, or signal source to be used for detection instrument calibration / testing ?

The tank is a moveable Covert Anchor for Marker Light or electrical detecting device on top of conduits above water level.

Either that or it is a buoy which can be pulled below the surface whenever necessary (though why is beyond me!).

Nope none of those, but yes there is stuff inside the tank. But not a generator.

There is also stuff floating on the surface connected to the tank.

The initial reaction is you'd never put a generator in a chamber like that, but it would explain very neatly why there are two connections - one for air in, and one for exhaust out .....

Putting all that together it could be a submersible vibration, electrical, or signal source to be used for detection instrument calibration / testing ?

None of those. The stuff on the surface is in a "hut" on a "raft".

The construction of these is a fascinating story. A brilliant piece of engineering design got them into precise position and upright. Here's a taster, but well worth investigating further. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunsell_Forts

Maunsell was the Southern Railway engineer responsible for this achievement. I think there is a book on it all but I can't find a link to it.

Stupid boy - the books references are in this wiki article :blush:

Thanks - I may have to add that to the Christmas list :)

OK, that confuses things! HMS Vernon was the Torpedo and mine establishment. Was it a support site for divers? The only other thing that comes to mind is a Foxer.That is a large clanging device that was towed about for distracting acoustic mines and torpedos. Though this is fixed to the lake/sea bed.(Is the Rosie for autograph cokkie that keeps appearing at the tyop of the page a futher attempt to distract?)