3HW help required to identify

docho

Hi, I've got a 3HW which I've owned since 1977. It's in reasonable condition and in regular use, I'm riding it in the Beamish on Sunday!

The frame is marked TEC 7.45 which begs the question were they still being made for military use then?

Frame number is TL58543 and engine number 38796S It was first registered in 1946 so not sure if will have seen any military service.

Thanks in advance for any help!

John.

John your 3HW comes from the last contract of 8000 built Feb-Sept 45. starting with frame number 53418. This contract was reduced to 5200 machines. By my calculations, your bike just squeezes in as the 5126th machine from this contract. I also calculate your tank census number as C6106543....... Courtesy Steve's book. Ron

It's clear from the number of 3HWs surviving in the Far East that large numbers were sent there and it seems to have been one of the types that was being stockpiled for the war against Japan. It had been expected that the defeat of Japan could require another two years so the manufacture of equipment was not stopped immediately.

The Ordnance record card for this contract states :-

"Vehicles still remaining undelivered to be made suitable for the Tropics - 26/3/45"

"50 Tropicized" - Is that a word ?

"All to be produced less tyres and batteries until further notice. DLO 242" - Unfortunately undated but suggesting that long-term storage was envisaged.

"Break Clause - Contract complete at 5200"

Production was originally scheduled for 1200 per month commencing January 1945 which would have meant that it was completed by July or August but it would seem that deliveries were delayed.

Have you checked with the VMCC to see if the Triumph factory ledgers include further information ?

The Triumph register is Quite usefull in that it lists other 3HWs other bikes and can assist in identifying where your bike fits in the sequence

http://wdtriumph.nl/3hwframe.html

The nearest bike frame no to yours is TL58387 ...........however all the engine nos linked with these contain 3HW.....

To help confirm if the engine is original can you send some photos of both Sides ...Triumph tended to litter the bikes with stamps so we may help you decode the bikes history

Jenkinov

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Martin van de Poel [/TD]

[TD]Netherlands[/TD]

[TD] TL58387 [/TD]

[TD]1945[/TD]

[TD] 3HW68387[/TD]

[TD] Contract S6680[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Rien Koskamp[/TD]

[TD] Netherlands [/TD]

[TD] TL55128[/TD]

[TD] 1945 [/TD]

[TD]3HW54610[/TD]

[TD] 1944 engine[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks to everyone for their help, much appreciated. The frame number prefix is TL and the engine number prefix is 3HW.

I'll post a few shots shortly but in the interim here's the bike. I'll post a few more shots and a couple of it on the Beamish Trophy Trial a couple of years ago, plan to use it again this Sunday.

The tank number is just something random I put on in the 80's, pleased to know now what it should be.

It was Wakefield registered and I think that the licensing records still exist there I'll check what the VMCC have as well.

More photos to follow.

Cheers,

John.

photo.jpg

Edited by docho

• 2 weeks later...

Nice photo ...The 3HWs are a great bike and one with a good reputation for performance by 1940 standards ,,,I am Quitly keeping an eye out for one myself ....

Please add the bike to the Triumph Register . They remain a rarity in europe and its always helpfull to have contacts

Jenkinov

P.S any more photos

Thanks to all for the information, I've sent a mail to add it to the register, I'll post the pictures from last week up plus a few others shortly.

Bike runs really well, just had the mag rebuilt, the first job I've done on it for 30 years!! (Apart from the odd oil change.)

The only substantially non-original part is the front mudguard whch seems to be difficult to source and a toolbox which I've never had,

I'm very interested in the information from the ordnance record, is this information available to view or copy?

Thanks, John.