New Member of the Moderating Team

Marmite!!

I had a tidy up Joris, this place needs a woman's touch! I have however made a space for the film about the trilogy I am currently reading................

Please tell me that's the Lord of the Rings?

(and tell me where the movies are please) :-X

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it me, or does anybody else have the image of them all lounging around in the sun waiting for the telephone to ring?

Mark

Pretty much sums it up Mark.

- currently we are having to endure all of N.O.S. holiday snaps. You see, it isn't all fun :-(

Yeah - and he nicked loads of it from John Buchan, anyway.

This could get to be a fun discussion. :-D As an aside I did overhear two burly bus enginners discussing the culinary aspects of 50 shades of grey yeasterday. :nut:

Actaulyy a lot of similarities come out between Tolkien and his books and C.S. Lewis books, particulary the Out of a silent Planet triology when the main carechter was a Philologist, (The forensic study of language) The same as Tolkien. This is less suprising when you know that Lewis and Tolkien were close friends.

A close friend of mine's father was a young professor at Oxford with Tolkien and Lewis and described them both as "Odd". During the big one he served in the Intelligence Corps and was tasked with learning Russian in a fortnight - which he did. The powers that be were so pleased they had him learn Mandarin a bit later when polarities changed and he had a similar timescale for that one. Same result. Brain the size of a planet.

MB

There is no real refrences I've been able to find to Tolkien's work during the Second World War. He was an exprt on Norse and Eiropean sagas, as a lot of German code words refered to this stories, I've been told he was attached to Bletchley Park to advise on what such codenames might reveal. During the Great War he was a signals officer in the 11th Lancashire Fusiliers, arriving in France 6 June 1916, he did see front line action but was invalided home with fever and never returned to the front. I did a Level 3 Communications project on the Great War a few years back, part of the project was a presentation on J.R.R. Tolkien and the influence of his Great War service on Lord of the Rings.

Both Lewis and Tolkien were commited Christians, compared to the Narnia books, Tolkien's lack of any religious trend in his books was wondered about at the time.