New Member of the Moderating Team

Marmite!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you define exactly what a "Moderator" does, please?

Tony

I've just realised (too late) that its a cunning plan to rake in all the trouble makers and give them a Moderator badge in order to get some control on them :shake:

So what is the definition of a "Moderator! - and what is the "Job Description"?

As far as I can tell from reading this thread, Tony - it mainly involves making coffee. At least I hope so. And if you tell them there's no milk or sugar left it should simplify the operation somewhat. :-)

In the best possible way, they are basically Dinner Ladies, making sure that we don't carried away and follow the rules. They also move posts that were put in the wrong place. I am sure there is much more to it than that, but, short and sweet, that is it. I must point out that they do a fantastic job on HMVF, there is short thrift given to idiots and those that find fun in abuse. I have been on newsgroups and then forums since 1998 and without strong moderation they get taken over by certain people or wrecked by those venting their spleen continually.

In the best possible way, they are basically Dinner Ladies, making sure that we don't carried away and follow the rules. They also move posts that were put in the wrong place. I am sure there is much more to it than that, but, short and sweet, that is it. I must point out that they do a fantastic job on HMVF, there is short thrift given to idiots and those that find fun in abuse. I have been on newsgroups and then forums since 1998 and without strong moderation they get taken over by certain people or wrecked by those venting their spleen continually.

I'll echo that forums can be spoilt by individuals with hidden agendas and somewhat odd behaviours to put that mildly. If you look at the forum for the vast majority of the time you will not see what the moderators do which is a sign of it working well. It ain't easy

That's a fine explanation and thank you for it. The system certainly works for us and is why we are the "Friendly Forum" which is what Jack always intended it to be.

Tony

I'll echo that forums can be spoilt by individuals with hidden agendas and somewhat odd behaviours to put that mildly. If you look at the forum for the vast majority of the time you will not see what the moderators do which is a sign of it working well. It ain't easy

Andy has pretty much nailed it there.

Basically each forum has its own 'style' and is usually a reflection of its owner - good and bad. Its the Mods job to ensure that the rules are followed, to help keep everything on topic, to help point people in the right direction if you are a newbie.

Also there are times when the team has to discuss certain things so we can get it right. As Andy says, many people on forums have their own agenda and we have had one or two here. They are usually pretty destructive and it soon becomes apparent and dealt with. If they are banned then it is all discussed between us before I make the decision. Each Mod has their own style of doing things and more importantly seeing things from a different angle which is important to me for clarity.

It is often a thankless task but one that's very important to the smooth running of forums. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes. What many folks don't know is that when HMVF won the Bart Vanderveen award one or two of the previous winners threatened to send their awards back in protest. I kind of felt that was pathetic and offered to pay carriage to have them picked up returned. I get a lot of stick because of HMVF and had my fair share from people who should know better at W&P last week so it isn't always a smooth ride.

But one thing for sure and it is safe to say - the hobby wouldn't be what it is today with out HMVF and Mods play their part in that.

Apart from that we just laze around in the Clubhouse watching Sky sports which I hate as I hate sport.

Edited by Jack

We can watch sport too? I thought we only had eehm, nature movies.. :red:

I had a tidy up Joris, this place needs a woman's touch! I have however made a space for the film about the trilogy I am currently reading................