Alvis Streaker Excavator

robin craig

Well,

just when you think you know a thing or two life shows you otherwise!

I found this on evil bay today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alvis-Streaker-Military-Excavator-Manufacturers-Specification-Sheet-/300659515867?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4600b421db#ht_2870wt_944

I'm wondering did it ever get past the drawing board stage?

Wouldn't that be a blast at Beltring and around home. How could the missus deny you owning an MV that was also useful for something?

Robin (not "Rob" fyi)

Gents,

neither of you managed to answer the one salient question I set, was it ever made or was this a drawing board fanatsy?

R

Give us time, Robin!! It can be a slow process sometimes!

All I can suggest is that IF my assumption about the MF back hoe is correct, and IF anyone can i.d. the tracked base (I can't, but then I know nothing about them), then I would say it is quite possible that Alvis did a quick cut and shut job. If the tracked base is unknown then it may well be a purely speculative design??

I think (but am not sure) that was the only one built...

As the Alvis and MF factories were quite close together I guess it would be quite a natural thing for them to co-operate in the event anybody ever ordered one !

One interesting thing I didnt know about the streaker until I was nosing around it is that it has two bench style troop seats which fold out of, and into the load bay..

As the Alvis and MF factories were quite close together I guess it would be quite a natural thing for them to co-operate in the event anybody ever ordered one !

The MF backacter was well proven by our army at that time, both on Muir Hill and MF tractors, so parts would be NATO codified, it all made sense.

I asked a friend Graham B who used to test them & this was his reply:

No, never built, but it was just one of the options that could be available for the Streaker along with various bowsers, Bar Mine layers and ammo transport systems on offer. Only 2 Streakers were built; obviously these option where not taken up.

Mate Martin had no.2

this is now in the possession of Andrew Baker.

The whole concept was later improved and indeed the vehicle enlarged to include greater crew protection that included NBC and air con for Gulf War 1. This was Stallion, son of Streaker. Six were made and fitted with a scatterable mine system to support the campaign into Iraq. My part in this was that I tested the vehicles overnight, rectified, commissioned the various

system and got them to Long Marston the next day for shipment to the Gulf. The climate there is much better for drying the paint!