marmon

Jerry can colour??

Question

Hi all,

I've been buying British WW2 jerry cans '39 to '44 when I find them in France at Vide Greniers, now I have a few, I intend to sand blast and paint them but what colour were they? Can anyone help with a paint code? were they primed? they appear to be one coat olive green and all slightly different, but the exteriors are very faded and surface rusted.

I still haven't decided what to do with them, bookcase, lamps, coffee table, hang them on the wall, (if I can get away with it) suggestions....

Thanks in advance,

Quentin

7 answers to this question

We lived in france for a period in 2009 and attended approx 60 vides through out the year and they are a good source

of bits and bobs....don`t forget to haggle!!!!! best buy was a 50 cal wooden ammo crate 7 euros

good luck with the lamp idea.

Dave

we cut and hinged an american one , put an old lock on it that cant be seen from the outside , and made a sandwich / drink container for the jeep.....

I was given two from Normandy, they were sand cooured, and always have been. Apparently something like ten million jerrycans were landed in the first months after D-Day. When the Rhine crossing came, only about two million could be found, leading to a lot of logistic problems.

Hi all,

I've been buying British WW2 jerry cans '39 to '44 when I find them in France at Vide Greniers, now I have a few, I intend to sand blast and paint them but what colour were they? Can anyone help with a paint code? were they primed? they appear to be one coat olive green and all slightly different, but the exteriors are very faded and surface rusted.

I still haven't decided what to do with them, bookcase, lamps, coffee table, hang them on the wall, (if I can get away with it) suggestions....

Thanks in advance,

Quentin

Hi Quentin

I am looking for a WW2 can with WATER pressed into it or petrol cans with PSC or NG makers marks, can you help ?

Thanks Ian

Hi Ian,

No water I'm afraid and makers are MPB or VM but I will certainly keep a look out for one.