Haynes Tiger 131 Manual

Coming soon from Haynes: The Tiger Tank Owners Workshop Manual. Written by The Tank Museum Curatorial team as they have been working the Tiger restoration… I bet they wish they’d had one when Tiger 131 arrived at the Museum in 1951!

This announcement proved a big hit on the Museums Facebook account.

Haynes_Tiger_131.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at this as a birthday present myself. I've been fortunate in seeing a "pre-production" copy and it looks to be a VERY interesting read with lots of previously un-released photo's.

Counting down the days.... and NO no socks this year I hope!

I might be able to write it (might I say) but who would buy it? Very much a minority interest. Now I would genuinely think a Sherman one would sell!

I'd buy it John! But, yes, a Sherman one... and maybe the Churchill, T-34, Crusader... etc, etc, etc the list could go on and on!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We popped in to the bookshop today for a cup of tea and a cake and ended up coming out with the Sherman Tank Haynes manual to go with my copy of the Tiger issue.

Well worth it, technical side of the machine covered in some detail, my favourite subject, engines, was of particular interest. So far I have only run through the engine section and read through the plate information....for a book about Shermans the guy can't identify his Sherman types for toffee! Plenty of M4s or M4A2s identified as M4A4s and text talking about how the multibank was installed in the M4A2:cry:.....

Of interest are Rex C's Firefly shown being media blasted, a colour photo of the famous Lebanese Firefly, minus engine and with rear panel mods suggesting the fitment of an aftermarket power plant at sometime. Finally there are some photos of a barn find Sherman M4 hybrid. None of the Shermans mentioned in the previous paragraph are identified correctly!

Still worth a spot on your book shelf.

NB: Jims M4A4 has a lot of attention from photos in the book, there is a photo of a Radial engine installation, however I think they are using Jims installation, which as it is in an M4A4 is misleading with respect to the amount of space! HMVF also gets a mention at the back! I was a little sad that Adrians M4A4 wasn't included, a shot of the rear deck with the engine covers removed would have been worth a 1000 words.

Edited by ajmac

• 1 month later...