Panhard AML - can anyone help?

stanleywindrush

Hiya

I'm restoring a Panhard AML 60 currently here in the uk. Its proving very problematic sourcing information / decent photos and data on this armoured car. Has anyone got any leads / friends - or know of anyone who has one of these, so I could share experiences/ ask some questions...

Have you ever driven one? Do you know where another one may exist (except Bovington and Saumur). Any one have any spares??? Help and leads greatfully accepted and even rewarded!!

Picture of the one I found in Spain and subsequently imported..

Tanqueta_Manolo[1].jpg

Hiya

I'm restoring a Panhard AML 60 currently here in the uk. Its proving very problematic sourcing information / decent photos and data on this armoured car. Has anyone got any leads / friends - or know of anyone who has one of these, so I could share experiences/ ask some questions...

Have you ever driven one? Do you know where another one may exist (except Bovington and Saumur). Any one have any spares??? Help and leads greatfully accepted and even rewarded!!

Hi,

A Panhard armoured car similar to your, was captured in the Falklands and brought back to UK by the Paras, later it was given to the REME Museum, I think because it developed a fault. I remember driving it around Southsea Common at a D-Day show, it had some kind of electric clutch, where the fault was, if I recall. The story goes that the makers were approached for assistance with parts, as a promotional thing I guess, but the reply came back that the Argies had not paid for them so no chance!

• 1 year later...

Hi, the South African army had quite a few of them. Here is a pic of one... At first they were equiped with 60mm and then modified for the 90mm. The South African soldiers called them "noddy cars". Search for SADF eland and you will find a lot of info.

attachment.php?attachmentid=27797&d=1274933538&thumb=1

Here is a Youtbe clip.

and another
(Lots of pics around 2 min in the clip) Edited by montie

I can remember when I was in RR Services old yard one time thay had a selection of French armoured cars although this was about 15 years ago but they must be around somewhere !

Rob...................rnixartillery

Pity the sarry does not have a number....

Hi,

A Panhard armoured car similar to your, was captured in the Falklands and brought back to UK by the Paras, later it was given to the REME Museum, I think because it developed a fault. I remember driving it around Southsea Common at a D-Day show, it had some kind of electric clutch, where the fault was, if I recall. The story goes that the makers were approached for assistance with parts, as a promotional thing I guess, but the reply came back that the Argies had not paid for them so no chance!

Funny enough a couple of G wagens came back from the Falklands. Same thing, when spares were tried for Merc did a war dance, they hadn't been paid! :D

• 4 months later...

Hiya

Things have moved on here.

My Panhard is finished and running. I just have a few small jobs to complete (like adding the sand channels). Its been a couple of years..

Interestingly the sad looking Panhard aml90 in the background in the second R&R picture I owned for a short while as I bought it from BE Boys at their auction - I brought it back stripped it of all parts then sold the hull on..

PS Whilst on my hunt for spare parts I came across a Panhard rebuild factory in S. France. I was able to have a look around. There must be at least 200 of them there from damaged wrecks to an actually brand new one that had never been used (a demonstration platform I believe) I was able to come away with as much as I coule carry! - was like being a child in a candy store!

28.jpg

Picture 037.jpg

BAz

0.jpg

• 11 years later...
On 3/3/2012 at 1:13 PM, Catch 22 LBDR said:

The Irish Panhard's are unlikely to ever be released, (its a sore point over hear:banghead:), the rumour is that what ever ones are not used as targets will be destroyed.

Hi, just seen your post from 2012. Do you have any info on Irish AML's . I happen to have one - definitely Irish.