Dorchesters, still lurking there?

Pzkpfw-e

you can never spend too much time on google looking at tanks :D i got into military vehicles last year when a polish lad told me about a panzer in a lake in poland that his grandfather knew about, i even bought a towed sonar fish to go looking for it but when i tried to tie him down to a location he got vague but by then i was hooked on the idea of ww2 armour and so here i am chasing up leads and scheming, still it helps to keep me out the pub.

eddy

There is another Dorchester in Wiltshire, it was pulled out of a Quarry about 5 years ago. I can't give out the current location as it is part of a private collection & definitley not for sale.

Anyone who knows wiltshire collectors will know who owns it.

Just to let you know that the AEC Dorchester, formerly owned by the late Bob Dimer was purchased by me in late 2006. Restoration was commenced in 2007 but I decided to sell the vehicle in running order in 2008 due to lack of parts and finance to complete it.

The vehicle was purchased by a volunteer at the Merredin (Western Australia) Museum and has been put together, albeit not completely accurately, and has been on display since. From the outside the vehicle appears very complete and authentic but I believe the interior fitout has hastily been filled in with timber offcuts etc.

Cheers

Phill

• 4 months later...

There was an article in Worlds Fair the other week about a guy in Suffolk who owns a Matador and brought what are the reamins of a Dorchester last year that he is going to restore this year. So it goes to show that they are still lurking around!

• 1 year later...

HiAll,

The old Maple Leaf thread seems to have been lost.

Does anyone know anything about the Dorchester in Scotland? Does it still exist? Has someone rescued it?

Havent heard of this before.

Didnt know we still had stuff lying around. Havent come across any wartime stuff lying about for ages now.

Dave.

i looked into the dorchester in ross's yard last year but it has apparently been bought and moved down south for restoration which is great news, however this is only what i have heard through someone else so i can't confirm it but i believe it to be true.

rick

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Rick. Glad if it actually has been rescued for restoration (although if its gone south, I'll never see it. furthest south I've been to a show is Yorkshire)

I can see that you might need a command vehicle for your tank fleet!

Iooking at the lack of vision though, I bet that if someone does restore it, driving it to a show would be a nightmare.

Dave.

there's one just round the corner from me, Colchester Essex, she's rough but I drove it last year. She was converted into a showground truck many years ago, have some pictures if anyone is interested but looks very different to her army days.

there's one just round the corner from me, Colchester Essex, she's rough but I drove it last year. She was converted into a showground truck many years ago, have some pictures if anyone is interested but looks very different to her army days.

I think this could be the one which I mentioned earlier in the thread had appeared in Worlds Fair. If you have pictures that would be great. I think the article said the guy who has it now is planning on restoring it??

there's one just round the corner from me, Colchester Essex .

Was this being stored at West Bergholt ? If so it may have been sold at the weekend as Michael and Patrick had an auction to sell a large part of their collection along with several other vehicles entered by permission and one of those could have been this one . Didn't stay to see the actual sale so can't say what sold and what didn't .

• 6 years later...

Recollections of the Dorchester at IWM Duxford have the crew compartment as 4 individual sections one each for driver and Co-driver centre office section and a rear office section with communication hatches between each as well as sliding roof lights with sliding armoured covers and interesting to drive with limited visability

• 4 years later...
On 8/14/2012 at 3:39 PM, Mattyboy said:

downs matador 2.jpg

I even have one of it in the 60's when the fairground boys 'the Down's Family' converted it....

11549_1155206049030_1494066977_30375346_8000977_n.jpg

IMAG0331.jpg

Hi mat it’s j fleet he’s still got its about 28% finished I can add some pictures of how she looks now and I did find some older pictures of her when she was with the downs family fun fair too

• Like 1