Hawker Batteries

The terminals on Hawker batteries are made of brass not lead and they can be unscrewed from the top of the battery. I am going to repair a large conventional commercial battery which I have blown the lead post off with one from a scrap hawker I have.

we had another go with the batteries and they are not showing bad any more but wont reach 100% yet we will see if these batteries can be made to work, they are only 2005 batteries so they should work, my 2001 hawker units are charging brilliantly...

this pulsetech unit is a dream, we had four batteries on site used as lead weight to hold things down, they have been dead for well over 2 years, we filled them with acid put them on the charger and they are now two in my foden one in the star and the other has sprung a leak so is going to the scrappy...

this charger is amazing,...so far i reckon it has saved me over 600 pounds in not needing new batteries...and likely if we can recover another 6 that are suspect it will have saved me another 800 pounds plus...it is a god send...

forgot to add i am now looking into fitting the solar charger to my 432, 434 mtlb saracen and two stalwarts to keep them regulalry topped up...it would be perfect for the them, ie where the batteries are a pain to extract.

but has anyone tried to bring back to life the gel hawker ffr batteries

Yes - see my previous post! Five total successes so far, two being a bit more awkward as I've only got the 2.5A Pulsetech charger.

Check the OCV - if it's above 12V you shouldn't have any trouble. I've recovered two with OCVs in the 10V region, the only time you probably won't be able to resuscitate them is if someone's killed them by using an incorrect old-fashioned charger.

Andy

Edited by andym

Hi Andy

well thats good to know, i am in the process of purchasing the dual output pulstech so it will do the two batteries at the same time, the batteries are not completly discharged, one sits aroun 8-9v and the other around 10-11v after standing, the lr is in daily use when i am at home so the batteries do get topped up daily by the vehecle.

I do have a pulse charger but it is a very low output milivolts and i have used regular to revive military radio batteries and to date it hasnt failed also use it with my airsoft batteries.

Anyway i am away at work until first part of april and then after that i test the dual pulsetech on my gel ffr batteries and post the results on here.

thanks for your posts

Reagrds

Martin

www.clansman-radios.com

www.clansman-radios.co.uk

www.vacation-villaflorida.com

Hmm - the batteries shouldn't be getting that low in a running vehicle. Have you checked that the charging voltage is OK (28.5V +/- 0.5V)? The Hawkers in my 432 were at 12.8V the other day having been stood for over a month.

Andy

Hi Andy,

the vehicle was stood for a while prior to my purchase and since then my attention as been on other parts of the l/r.

but you are correct there was up until two weeks ago a fault on the charging system, which i finally tracked down to the earth connection in the battery box, at best i would only be getting 5amps charge but most of the time nothing, after finding and fixing the fault i now see 40-70amp on the meter most of the time.

so yes you where correct in your thinking but the problem was fixed, but still leaves me with the battery problem.

Martin G7JWR

www.clansman-radios.com

www.clansman-radios.co.uk

www.vaction-villaflorida.com

• 3 years later...

Hi

I bought one of these chargers and the quadlink to regulate between 4 hawker batterys , followed all the instructions and set the charger up , it worked for 2 days and broke ? overheated I guess ? A new one was sent out on warranty and this lasted 3 days and has Broke ?

I don't think the chargers are fit for purpose ?

I notice they are manufactured in China although coming from the states .

I am now using a draper intelligent charger , that's fully vented through the quadlink , so far so good.

Hi

I bought one of these chargers and the quadlink to regulate between 4 hawker batterys , followed all the instructions and set the charger up , it worked for 2 days and broke ? overheated I guess ? A new one was sent out on warranty and this lasted 3 days and has Broke ?

I don't think the chargers are fit for purpose ?

I notice they are manufactured in China although coming from the states .

I am now using a draper intelligent charger , that's fully vented through the quadlink , so far so good.

Which charger ? Pulsetech ? When I spoke to the guy there about my single channel one failing (which they replaced no problem) he asked if I was running it overnight on 240 volts, which I clearly was. He said if I could it would be better running off a 110 volt supply as overnight sometimes the mains output climbs over 250 volts due to lack of demand on the grid. The charger therefore sometimes blows on the inlet protection. Since fitting a 110v plug and running it through a transformer it has been no problem. I have no connection with the UK suplier, I have recovered a good number of heavily discharged Hawkers with the pulstech.

Hi Andy

Yes pulse tech extreme

Yes I had it running continuous overnight , it wasn't laboured as I have 4 hawker batterys and the charge was goverened between the batterys with Pulsetechs QUADLINK set up that distributes charge at 10 minute intervals .

Im pretty sure that the units are not suitable as described , made in china quality never inspires confidence with me .

The chap at United scientific has asked me to return both units , but I know they have failed due to overheating as I have bought a vented solid state charger that's properly vented and its been working 24 hrs for 3 days with no problems .

Im hoping to get a full refund as im not impressed with the pulse tech ;)