Torchlight BAOR mid sixties

andreadavide

I would like to "accessorise" my 1962 Rover8, time and funds allowing.

The first item would be a nice torchlight, because, following Murphy's law, breakdowns tend to occur after sunset.

What torchlight was issued to BAOR in the mid sixties? Was it common to have onboard items "procured" from the bundeswehr or the US?

Thank you

Andrea

Indeed I have one, but for throwing some light under a car or the bonnet (or around the car to find among the rubbish on the hard shoulder a piece of wire to fix something) a hand held torch works better. Since I want to have it at hand, i.e. hung somewhere on or around the dash I'd rather have it a "period" item.

Andrea

Hi,

i thought they just used the `angled head ` torch which had two spare bulbs stored in the screw off section where the battries were inserted

Ashley

"Torch, Right-angled" They still appear to be available today, worn on the kevlar vest of your local Bobby on the beat. In the mid 70s in Northern Ireland we were issued with "Shark's Eye" torches from G1098 stores which lit up the clouds quite nicely whilst on VCPs. I wouldn't be at all surprised if these didn't exist in G10 stores in BAOR. Besides, if I wanted a torch in BAOR in the late 70s and didn't get issued what I wanted, I'd have gome out and bought one and nobody would bat an eyelid, so, as long as it is in keeping with the period, you can get away with anything.

Then I just remembered, we also got issued Bardics, about 5" cubed IIRC with a handle on top and some traffic light filters activated by twisting the pull/push on/off switch on the top. These same torches were used for many years by guards on the railways, and AFAIK they still might be. I think they have been around forever. Needless to say, Army issue Bardics (and Torches, RA) were painted Olive drab. I seem to recall the Shark's Eye was black plastic. There may have been a red circle around the glass.

If you can find a period Maglite (Does such an animal exist, a 1960s Maglite?) it won't look out of place.

• 3 years later...

The British angled torch was completely different to the (some thought superior) US one. They are still issued and available in army surplus stores and they were only issued in clear lens- there was an add on front to the lenses and a new bottom cap to house filters. This allowed you to fit red,green and white opaque filters but on the basic G1098 ones these were not standard.

For the land rovers the most used light was the inspection light which came as part of it's CES and plugged into the dashboard.

Gary

Torch similar to here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/military-army-angle-torch-NEW_W0QQitemZ370298745609QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item5637867309

Adaptor kit similar to here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/British-Army-angle-torch-filter-apadtor-kit_W0QQitemZ170414777019QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Militaria_LE?hash=item27ad8322bb

Just to chime in about Bardic Lamps.

They were darned brilliant and worth their weight in gold if you ask me, Many RMP members had them in their vehicles as they were brill for doing traffic control at night as you could single handedly act as a set of traffic lights at the scene of an RTA as there are 3 coloured lenses that rotate over the bulb plus a gap for white light.

There is a handy drop in converter pack for the bardics available from the uk that allows usage of normal civvy batteries instead of the hard to find special ones.

I love my bardic and wont ever give it up. it has many functions that the average Gucci kit mag lite etc wont do that have nothing to do with illumination. Its just a bit old and clunky but so can be said about most of the vehicles we like

rgds

robin

Just to chime in about Bardic Lamps.

They were darned brilliant and worth their weight in gold if you ask me, Many RMP members had them in their vehicles as they were brill for doing traffic control at night as you could single handedly act as a set of traffic lights at the scene of an RTA as there are 3 coloured lenses that rotate over the bulb plus a gap for white light.

There is a handy drop in converter pack for the bardics available from the uk that allows usage of normal civvy batteries instead of the hard to find special ones.

I love my bardic and wont ever give it up. it has many functions that the average Gucci kit mag lite etc wont do that have nothing to do with illumination. Its just a bit old and clunky but so can be said about most of the vehicles we like

rgds

robin

Join the club mate!! :):)

I've got the adapter pack for 3 x NiCad "D" Cells and it works rather well.