Halftrack Tracks

scotty71

There is currently a process being undertaken by people on the G503 forum to have new tracks for US halftracks manufactured. At the moment there is a worldwide shortage of these tracks and we need to provide support for this manufacturing process. There is a risk that this project may not go ahead.

We need as many people as we can so this project can go ahead as we need to see these iconic and historical vehicles on the road and at rallies and historical events for years to come.

So if you have a halftrack or know of someone who does we really need to promote this track project.

Scott.

Scotty, in all probability it is too late for the Cletrac tracks - depends how the manufacturer proposes to make the mould for the halftrack units?

My understanding is that the halftrack units are normally made in a complete mould. Basically metal cross bars are clamped to endless steel cables and a rubber track profile formed around this assembly within the surrounding mould and then vulcanised.

Being a longer version of the halftrack units, the Cletrac assemblies would normally require a dedicated mould

Were their manufacture to be considered at the same time, it should be quite possible to produce a mould which could easily be reconfigured into two different lengths. The only additional cost would be the extra length of mould and some work to create split joints to allow for adding the extension when required.

It would probably be prohibitively expensive to adapt an existing one-piece mould unless it has been designed with this option from the outset.

Not wishing to complicate the halftrack project, but is there still time to consider this option? Short of cutting and splicing halftrack units (not ideal), this might be the last opportunity to keep Cletracs mobile…...:(

Tony (who does not own a Cletrac).

Hmmmmm,

I too am in the process of manufacturing new tracks for the Bren/universal carrier. Im looking at 3000 pounds a pair (bloody cheap!) but I need at lease 15 owners interested. The problem here is that im new to carrier ownership and not many people know ne in this industry. Anyone know Gary Howard in Kent ? he knows me very well, so we will see how things go.

I offered NOS sprockets too, pretty poor response there again. :cry:

Some people just need to pull there fingers out ! :yawn: otherwise it just wont happen..........

I can't see form your photo of the mould how that process works, Scotty.

That looks like a vulcanising press only - which does 2 straight sections (top and bottom) of a pair of tracks - once that length of track is done presumably you move the tracks around to do another straight section (the loop hanging out the front), then the final section (the bit looping out the back).

Somewhere there must be a mould in which the entire rubber track is cast. If this assumption is correct you can use the vulcanising unit to do any length of track but I guess the mould has to be specific to the track length.

I thought tyres are cast in a mould which is then used to vulcanise too? Possibly cheaper to make 2 separate units like the photo?

Cletrac demand will surely never be enough to justify a dedicated mould so I reckon sharing a mould would be the only option :-(

Unless they are hidden away in some forgotten warehouse somewhere.

Stranger things have happened, maybe the company's historian (if they have one) can look into their archives.

Not sure if the Israeli's are even allowed to sell their machines, being Defense material? How about the French companies?

I thought I read in the U.S. thread somewhere that someone had bought the Israeli track production tooling and had spent a lot of money reconditioning it - maybe the tooling being used in Argentina is be the Israeli gear, which may indeed be some of the original wartime equipment?

Hi,

I have been onto the factory in Argentina who used to make the tracks for the Army. They believe they still have the moulds, they are going to check. They would obviously have to make a few pairs to make it worthwhile, but may be cost effective!

I will keep people informed.

Regards Chris

The factory in Argentina are willing to start making the tracks again! I am just waiting for a price. They still have the moulds. They are willing to make tracks for other vehicles as well, definitely Sherman and possibly Universal carrier as well. The Argentines used Halftracks, Sherman's and T-16's for many years. This is the factory that supplied the Army with there tracks.

Regards Chris

Chris - any chance of discussing with them the possibility of making Cletrac tracks?

Someone with a Cletrac needs to get into gear here, or a great opportunity will be missed!

If someone can to advise the length compared to Halftrack tracks, they should be able to quote for these too.

Chris - any chance of discussing with them the possibility of making Cletrac tracks?

Someone with a Cletrac needs to get into gear here, or a great opportunity will be missed!

If someone can to advise the length compared to Halftrack tracks, they should be able to quote for these too.

Hi,

If you let me have some details re Cletrac track and I will ask!

Regards Chris

Surely Cletrac tracks are not only longer but wider too and have bolt on 'pads' and so have totally different cross pieces inside the rubber. Has anyone checked that the guide horns are interchangeable or what the pitch of the cross pieces is (which is the pitch of the sprocket) ? I find it hard to believe that there would be anything in common at all between Cletrac and halftrack track other than the general concept.

Sorry to be negative but this all needs checking and decisions making but I agree that the standard Halftrack 'tread pattern' would not look bad on a Cletrac. The width issue is potentially more of a problem because none of these tracks are over-strong and wider tracks have more cables in them which is the main strength. Make them narrower than original and they will be weaker quite apart from looking strange. A different pitch certainly means different tooling altogether.

I hope someone comes up with a solution but getting enough Cletrac owners to invest will be the big challenge.

Good luck, David

The factory in Argentina are willing to start making the tracks again! I am just waiting for a price. They still have the moulds. They are willing to make tracks for other vehicles as well, definitely Sherman and possibly Universal carrier as well. The Argentines used Halftracks, Sherman's and T-16's for many years. This is the factory that supplied the Army with there tracks.

Regards Chris

Did they also made the T16 tracks?? and could they produce them again?

Hendrik

NOS you have a good memory for old posts!! Even I had forgotten that one.

Yes they are the same width and pitch just need to be longer and they will work. Michael in the US is aware of the need for Cletrac tracks and will keep us in the loop if his venture gets of the ground.

Oh at last - the CLETRAC KID turns up. Where have you been?

I've been trying to hold the fort but I know nothing about Cletracs.

I've been hiding under a pile of Chevy parts!!

I know Cletracs are just a pile of scrap without good tracks. I also know there are no NOS tracks out there!!!

😃😃😃

there is a little cletrac community in Australia. Their are three that I know of within an hour of where I live. They are completely useless however, given that the tracks are completely deteriorated. If tracks were remanufactured though!!!!!!!!

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg