Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gaz69 the Jeepski

Default Re: Gaz69 the Jeepski

Unlike the wartime Jeep or its post-war British equivalent, the Land Rover, the Gaz 69 does not seem to have been utilised that extensively as a weapons platform. The one obvious exception to this is the 2P26 of which I only know of examples in museum but none in private hands... but then who would particularly want one? ... as it is even LESS practical than a standard Gaz

It was intended as an anti-tank missile launcher as used by motorised rifles regiments. (The same missile system would be carried by a BTR40 in a Tank regiment). I think it was used by the Soviets too but somehow most of the photographs that have survived, show it in NVA service during the 1960s. I think the idea wa abandoned pretty quickly.

(the soldier is wearing the early pattern NVA camouflage that was gradually replaced during the late 1960s and 1970s by the raindrop pattern which flooded the surplus market 15 years ago or so)
    Matteo

This is a bit of an oddity in service with the Polish army and presumably prepared for a parade given the white painted tyres.

I cannot imagine a 4 doors vehicle being ideal for this kind of conversion... It just makes things more cramped... and I can imagine the bodywork and seats getting in the way of the gunner at every beck and call. Perhaps it was only done for the parade.
    Matteo

Quote Originally Posted by iannima View Post
    Again I believe Czechoslovak:

he probably is a vicious attack dog :shock: but he looks sweet here :roll:

the three jerry cans on the tailgate is a typical Czechslovack arrangement
    And a cracked rear window - another standard feature on the Gaz. They break when people throw the rear flap over the top and the window hits the centre tube in the roof frame.

Thanks for all the photos and descriptions!
    When I was looking to buy mine photos were as rare as hens teeth.
    I am off to Cuba soon and I have seen a number of 69's in private ownership there in the past, if I see one I will try to add to the photos.

Regards rog8811

Quote Originally Posted by Eastblock View Post
    And a cracked rear window - another standard feature on the Gaz. They break when people throw the rear flap over the top and the window hits the centre tube in the roof frame.
    The idea of fitting glass in canvas was not the brightest... The back window of my new canvas was obviously shattered and I had flexible plastic stitched on instead. When I will manage to get the frame for the side windows I shall do the same there
    Last edited by iannima; 26-02-2010 at 15:21.
    Matteo

So sweet
    Matteo

The idea of fitting glass in canvas was not the brightest... The back window of my new canvas was obviously shattered and I had flexible plastic stitched on instead. When I will manage to get the frame for the side windows I shall do the same there
    It works well enough in the wife's BMW 330i cabriolet !!!

Found another one :

Polish paratroopers. Notice the NOTEK light on the left wing, also to be seen on some NVA vehicles.
    Matteo

This is a bit of an oddity in service with the Polish army and presumably prepared for a parade given the white painted tyres.

I cannot imagine a 4 doors vehicle being ideal for this kind of conversion... It just makes things more cramped... and I can imagine the bodywork and seats getting in the way of the gunner at every beck and call. Perhaps it was only done for the parade.
    shall have to fit one of them to mine...
    We do restorations...museum coming along...
    currently restoring two fodens an M62, Munga, 434 (fuel pump control gear and paint) Zil 131 (new engine)

Found another one :

Polish paratroopers. Notice the NOTEK light on the left wing, also to be seen on some NVA vehicles.
    What's in the background looks fun. Can I have one of those please?
    [URL="http://heidilandrover.webeden.co.uk/"]http://heidilandrover.webeden.co.uk[/URL]

EAFVG

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information