Page 255 of 255 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255
Results 2,541 to 2,549 of 2549

Thread: WW1 Thornycroft restoration

Default Re: WW1 Thornycroft restoration

Steve, please see previous reply, also photo of new lorries, post #2533. The information about overheating came from a book about the experiences of a wartime Thornycroft driver. I will plough through it again and try to find the relevant bit. Frank's War in a Thornycroft (I think) If not there, it is from one of the War Diaries ?

Tomo
    Last edited by Tomo.T; 17-08-2017 at 08:37.

2. Advertisement

Ah yes, I have that book on my 'to be read' pile. I will pick it up next! Thanks.

That is a super photo but I think they are Leylands, who did polish their radiators, rather than Thornycrofts.

Come to think of it, I am surprised that anyone would spend the time, effort and money to polish these aluminium castings in a war production environment. Dad spent hours cleaning up our Thorny radiator and then we painted it anyway! Dennis thought it worthwhile to polish theirs to quite a high standard but I can't see what they got out of it. Another fascinating corner of history.

Steve

Oh ! Well spotted. That would explain the strange wheels then. The book is quite heavy going with a lot of intrusive and repetitive corrections, however, there are occasional nuggets buried within. Good luck.

As far as polishing radiators goes, I am sure the intention was to improve heat dissipation, but we may need a scientist to explain why !
    Last edited by Tomo.T; 17-08-2017 at 09:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Asciidv View Post
    Steve,

Why did you join the two halves of the core box together? With them joined I would have thought it would be difficult to ram. Wouldn't it be easier for them to be left split and the two core halves be produced separately and then joined together with core glue? If Bridport use CO2 core sand then the larger exposed surface of split core halves would give quicker setting.

Barry.
    We took the pattern to the foundry yesterday where I had a chance to talk to the moulder. He said that he would probably make the core in one piece and ram it from the ends rather than two halves glued as they occasionally get gassing problems caused by the glue.

It was nice to see inside the foundry but that has to be the most horrible working environment I have ever seen!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Great War truck View Post
    Almost certainly the bows on the original assembly were “one piece” and steamed and bent around but we have opted for an alternative in laminating thinner sections of Ash around a template
    I found this video by accident today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z0SsAyHKzc&t=64s

I don't know if the technique would be applicable to hood bows.

We steamed the rail around the front of the Garrett cab roof, which is about an inch thick. A big piece of plywood with some blocks on it as the 'mould', and a couple of hours in a piece of old flexible chimney liner with the end stuffed with rags, with steam from the boiler in at the other end, and it worked fine.

Brilliant idea using flexible chimney liner. You don't have to do the bend in one go - if it goes stiff, thread the liner back over it and re-heat as many times as you need. Having a proper boiler must help too !

David

I have been following this project for some time and wanted to congratulate and thank you for the fascinating details you provide. I came across the thread when searching for details of the J Class chassis. Whilst I have a Thornycroft J chassis drawing it did not provide the level of detail I needed. Your photographs did that and helped me in designing a 2mm scale model of the 'J', which was designed as a kit of parts in 3D CAD for 3D printing in plastic.

In the photo that's a penny alongside the model. With my son we also created a 2mm scale model of part of the 1930s Thornycroft Factory, which has been exhibited at the Thornycroft Society's Basingstoke Festival of Transport held each May.

When you start showing your 'J' it would be nice to see it in Basingstoke.
    Last edited by davidsmith_uk; Yesterday at 08:57.

David,

The picture of your model is not visible. Could you re-post it please for all of us to admire.

Thanks,

Barry.
    www.dennisfire.co.uk - Dennis from 1913

Page 255 of 255 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255

Thread Information