Unit decals

m151tx

Hi Guys.

Does anyone know if anyone has or reproduces the regimental decals used on Brit Vehicles.

I had a bunch of RTR ones I got from the UK a few years ago and have been trying to find some similar ones for other regiments etc. The ones I had you soaked in a dish of water and they floated off the backing material.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Guys.

Does anyone know if anyone has or reproduces the regimental decals used on Brit Vehicles.

I had a bunch of RTR ones I got from the UK a few years ago and have been trying to find some similar ones for other regiments etc. The ones I had you soaked in a dish of water and they floated off the backing material.

Thanks

Mark

If you have the dimensions and some colour photos then a good sign-maker who can do vinyl graphics should be able to make them for you. Not as thin as the original decals but - IMHO - an acceptable alternative.

Somewhere in this mad-house I have a full set of the large RCT and London Div markings as applied to RL's and Mk 1 Militants as well as the smaller ones applied to Landies

Hi Neil.

Thanks for the reply.

We have had vinyl made for other vehicles but the sun and heat in Texas is kinda hard on them (100+deg) and they really dont seem to stand up too well. The best results we have had is with the water slides and sealing them with a flat poly coat.

I looked into having waterslides made but I cannot find anyone over here that makes them that big.

Thanks again though.

All the best

Mark

Ink jet ink tends to fade quickly, particularly red.

Try looking for a traditional signwriter or do what I did, find a sign in a drawing or photograph, scan it and print it out full size. It will probably be very fuzzy but you can cut out the shapes to make a stencil. It took me several attempts but it worked eventually. I'm pleased with the result. The 7th Armd Div's Desert Rat looks like a kangaroo but it looked like one on the original that I copied!

A lot of the original signs were less than perfectly painted if you look closely, so you don't need to strive for perfection.

Try asking the Regimental Depot / Home Headquarters (cavalry) of the regiment or corps in question.

In the case of amalgamated regiments, you'd have to find the current depot. For instance, I am fairly sure (but I could be wrong) you can get a 15th/19th The King's Royal Hussars decal as often applied to the nightsight cover on a CVR(T) from Home Headquarters The Light Dragoons in Newcastle, whereas a 13th/18th Royal Hussars decal, if one existed, might be bought from Home Headquarters The Light Dragoons in Barnsley.