Onan gennies: What're they worth?

Any idea what the latest model 3.5kVA Onan gennies are worth? (the ones that used to be on Ptarmigan Bedfords before they replaced them with the square-block newer ones). Might have a couple surplus to requirements in the not-too-distant, are they worth anything or shall I ring the scrappy?

I assume they'd work but I'm not sure all the wiring harnesses are present so I don't want to try firing them up...

Stone

tony if they are 240v then i would be intersted in the other one

Same thought , but a lot of 110v stuff is coming up dirt cheap at boot fairs latley.

Ex- British Army

Onan Generator Sets

2 Cylinder Petrol Engine

3½ kVA, 240V Single Phase, 50 Hz

Size: 34" x 27" x 23" Weight:388lbs

Electric Start, Air Cooled

Two 13 Amp Sockets, Circuit Breaker

Hours Run Meter, Ammeter & Voltmeter

Supplied with: fuel line

with jerry can fitment, exhaust.

They can also be configured to generate

110v by making a small adjustment.

Edited by Tony B

When Rosyth closed down, Babcocks had the job of disposing of about 150 of these in various stages of repair.

The last batch were new and reconditioned, in sealed crates, selling for £195.00 plus shipping on ebay last year.

We got one collected by a friend in Broxburn, who lived over the other side of the Forth Bridge, and collected it on our next trip up there.

They are based on the Onan CCK air-cooled flat twin, and very good they are too.

Ours is unpacked but unused, we also got some of the control boxes, earth spikes, remote control cables and some exhaust flexibles, plus one dual-generator master control box.

Peter

Hello Stone

If the gennys are runners they are worth a min of £100. If I were you I would put them on ebay, I have sold quite a few and all the ones I have sold have gone over to Africa.They use them to power there fridges ect.

Regards Howard

• 4 weeks later...

I think they're the same as this one. (bit rustier though!)

Each genny has two outlets that accept standard UK plugs or a modified army variant with a screw-down sealing cap; believe total output is 3.5kVA.

Been doing some digging, I found a pair of remote start boxes and extension cables earlier :cool2:

Getting there!

Stone

Removed one of the pair today. (parked car blocking the other one, I'll do it tomorrow!)

genny1-1.jpg

genny1-2.jpg

Both are missing the (plastic?) top cover, this one is missing the terminal block cover (15 mins work for a replacement in sheet steel). They've been stored in their pallet so they haven't got wet, just exposed to atmosphere, hence the rusting.

I found one of the flexible exhausts (damaged on one end) but I only have one. One remote-start box and earth spike each, though :)

Stone

Edited by Marmite!!
photo links

• 3 weeks later...