Heritage certificate

Skint George

Question

The V5 for my Lightweight Landrover stated that it was manufactured in 1978 and RHD.

A few people have looked at it and thought it was an older model even though the headlights were on the wings (I know that later model series 2A's that this modification).

I applied for a Heritage certificate which arrived today and it states it was build 13th May 1972 and delivered to the Central Army Depot, Ashchurch 18th May.

The certificate also states it was a LHD export model.

So at some point it was converted to RHD (would the army do this?) and brought back to the U.K.

As it was an export model, would this effect the vehicle getting historic vehicle tax and how would I go about this process?

Thanks,

George

13 answers to this question

The V5 for my Lightweight Landrover stated that it was manufactured in 1978 and RHD.

A few people have looked at it and thought it was an older model even though the headlights were on the wings (I know that later model series 2A's that this modification).

I applied for a Heritage certificate which arrived today and it states it was build 13th May 1972 and delivered to the Central Army Depot, Ashchurch 18th May.

So at some point it was converted to RHD (would the army do this?) and brought back to the U.K.

As it was an export model, would this effect the vehicle getting historic vehicle tax and how would I go about this process?

Thanks,

George

Lightweight's are relitively easy to swap about from left to rhd, no dash to change over, yours would have been built for use in Germany with BAOR.

Years ago re registered vehicles were given the same year number as new cars, no age related then, information on ex military stuff was all a bit arbitery then, all rather easy to write a year on the release note! I've seen all doubtfull year of manufacture on ex mil V5's. Its only in more recent years DVLA are requiring confirmed year of manufacture to issue age related numbers rather than a Q plate.

After it was sold to make it more saleable in UK it was obviously converted to RHD, may even have been rebuilt from a damaged or incomplete vehicle, all sorts of skullduggery was going on! Lightweights were well in demand then, is its original chassis number readable on the RH front chassis dumb iron?

You need to contact DVLA with your Heritage certificate as proof of correct year of manufacture to get V5 changed to Historic category

Edited by Nick Johns

Hi Nick and thanks for the info.

The chassis does not have a number on it due to extensive welding done by a previous owner.

The vehicle does have a data plate showing the chassis number on the dash and the V5 shows it too.

George

How about a picture of it alongside the 4000.............just for us agricultural types. :cool2::)

I think you will find a build date of May 1972 would make it a Series 3, whilst I realise things could have been changed the interior pic shows S3 steering wheel , column switch and gear lever.

After it was sold to make it more saleable in UK it was obviously converted to RHD, may even have been rebuilt from a damaged or incomplete vehicle, all sorts of skullduggery was going on! Lightweights were well in demand then, is its original chassis number readable on the RH front chassis dumb iron?

This is not new. I have come across Bedford MW water tankers being converted to GS trucks to make them more sellable, back in the late 1940s.

George,

It is possible that it was converted from LHD to RHD by the army. Whilst working in REME workshops, I built up the Royal Salute vehicles ( 5 x Series 3 Lightweights) for the Honorable Artillery Company. These vehicles were in a very used state before work started and I did note that one had LHD on the nomenclature plate, although it was actually RHD......so you see it could have been done whilst in service.

Another thing that comes to mind, and I have not much spent time on Land Rovers in more recent years, is that on original chassis's, there is only one position for the steering relay, thus dictating whether the chassis is Left or Right hand drive, whereas a replacement chassis is universal with two mounting positions. I may be talking a load of rubbish here, but am sure CW or Nick will put me right.

Another thing that comes to mind, and I have not much spent time on Land Rovers in more recent years, is that on original chassis's, there is only one position for the steering relay, thus dictating whether the chassis is Left or Right hand drive, whereas a replacement chassis is universal with two mounting positions. I may be talking a load of rubbish here, but am sure CW or Nick will put me right.

Richard, I have two LHD LtWts, one British & one Dutch. Both changed over to RHD without too much difficulty. There were two chassis types for LtWt but it was whether it was GS or FFR, LHD & RHD were the same for each.

Richard, I have two LHD LtWts, one British & one Dutch. Both changed over to RHD without too much difficulty. There were two chassis types for LtWt but it was whether it was GS or FFR, LHD & RHD were the same for each.

Thanks Clive,

I have come across Rover chassis's with only one relay position, but possibly not Lightweights.

Thanks Clive,

I have come across Rover chassis's with only one relay position, but possibly not Lightweights.

You are right certainly things like Rover 10 & 11 where chassis specific for LHD & RHD.

Thanks for all the info guys.

My chassis has two steering relays.

I contacted the DVLA today and they said to post the certificate and the V5 and they would change it to historic tax.

I'm still waiting for the Army history from the RLC museum.

While I'm here, does anyone know the owner of Lightweight A770 PNA ?

I have a display board made by Peter Barrett (a previous owner)for 93KA83 which belongs to this vehicle.

It has a full military history and army registration plates (see attached photo).

It's sitting in my shed waiting for the owner.

It's free to the owner!

dfs2.JPG

In and out of the local DVLA office in about 15 minutes.

Showed a very helpful member of staff my documents and heritage certificate.

Walked out with a Historic tax disc, a refund form and the offer of a new age related plate (didn't do it then, short of time) whenever I want. I would recommend the cost of a heritage certificate anytime!