Can you convert a Word page to jpg?

fv1609

When hunting for books at shows, I have to carry a heavy file around which lists all my books & documents. There are about 4,000 entries which I need to check to avoid buying the same thing twice.

Now I know you can buy blackberries, fancy phones etc that can use Word, Acrobat etc & send emails & surf etc. But they are a few hundred quid & besides my phone gets bashed around. Despite the precaution of protecting it in an old sock, the top of the case is nearly worn through, the back panel has broken & got lost, so the battery has to be held in with sticky tape & the screen is cracked. It still works, but it has a hard life so I don't feel I want to fork out on an expensive gadget.

This Nokia phone has a camera & memory card. So I can display a small album & I would like to display at least some of my key document lists.

There are some scanned book pages I have transferred to the phone & with zoom & my glasses on I can read through the document.

So is there any neat way to convert a Word page to jpg, none of my photo editing suite will open a Word page. I suppose if all else failed I could scan a printed page & save as a jpg, but was hoping there was an easier & nicer way to do it.

Or does anyone know of a budget O2 phone that would allow me to do this?

you could open word copy the ...erm 'copy'

open a photoshop jpeg and paste in

although 4000 entries even at a small size would be a biggish image it could be done

make it a mono bitmap image and the filesize would probably be maneageable

Clive,

You can convert a Word page to a jpg by pressing the 'Print Screen' button (upper right of the keyboard above the number pad) and pasting it in to paint or whatever you use to edit images.

Chris

you could open word copy the ...erm 'copy'

open a photoshop jpeg and paste in

although 4000 entries even at a small size would be a biggish image it could be done

make it a mono bitmap image and the filesize would probably be maneageable

Thought that was going to work. Got a Word page into a 450kb jpg, transferred it to the phone, displayed it as a thumbnail, but said it was unable to open the file.

I'll try Chris's method in a minute, always wondered what that button did!

Clive,

You can convert a Word page to a jpg by pressing the 'Print Screen' button (upper right of the keyboard above the number pad) and pasting it in to paint or whatever you use to edit images.

Chris

Spot on Chris!! - just make sure all the page you want to view is visible on-screen.

Clive,

Chris

Chris that certainly worked & curiously it was half the size of the other jpg which it wouldn't open on the phone. Shame that the edging of the PC screen is still there to take up space on the phone screen. If that could be trimmed off would be nice as even on zoom & with glasses on it is only just readable with my eyesight. But certainly a step forward.

Its not just at shows, sometimes I come across a book in a junk shop or carboot sale & don't always have the big book with the lists with me, whereas the phone goes most places, hence its rather damaged state!.

Shame that the edging of the PC screen is still there to take up space on the phone screen. If that could be trimmed off would be nice as even on zoom & with glasses on it is only just readable with my eyesight.

Ah just twigged. When I am in Word, I then go to full screen, then paste with the Print Screen button. That transfers to the phone just fine.

Now if I could find a way to get ride of the "close full screen" icon as that could block out some text.

Clive, see if you can get a PDA, either one of the Palm types or even an old Psion3a or Psion 5. I've got an old Psion3 here that you could use. They have keyboards built in, not touch screen. Psion3 can be a bit fiddly to use but I've had years of use out of this Psion5, it has a good keyboard. Psion7 is even better. Problem seems to be that they appear to be collectable now. I used my Psion5 as a GPS as well, plugged into a Garmin GPS12, before the high street shops were selling dashboard types cheaply.

Psion 5 examples:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PSION-5-PDA-Boxed-with-all-accessories-Excellent-condit_W0QQitemZ280367647255QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_PDAs_JN?hash=item414736ca17&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1690|293%3A1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/psion-5-mx-palm-top-computer_W0QQitemZ320395640759QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_PDAs_JN?hash=item4a99117fb7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1690|293%3A1|294%3A50

I only suggest this as an alternative to the .jpg on a phone thing because at least if you have the original document then you can use the PDA to search it's own contents for you instead of having to look through and scroll/enlarge/squint at small text on a small screen. It will also synch with your computer and update. So, if you make notes while out and about, it will transfer to your PC later, likewise if you are working at the PC and want to take your info or pictures with you.

There are some really cheap PDA's out there and, if stored in a wallet type case, are fairly robust. Palm Tungsten types are plentiful.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Palm-Tungsten-T5-PDA_W0QQitemZ150358144083QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_PDAs_JN?hash=item23020b3453&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A7|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

A pda phone can be had if you want to swap contracts at a high street phone shop. I prefer Pay As You Go type cards though, don't like monthly contracts.

Getting a PDA means something else to carry but it's smaller than a small paperback book and they keyboard is better than a touch screen. Maplins also have some kit for around £150, along the same lines but with a years prepaid internet access. You really need to get your hands on one first though to decide if you will get on with such kit. Higher end kit is going to give you the most options, really cheap stuff is black and white screen, small memory, but still good for something like an EMER list. Check the memory size, 8M is still plenty for text files and you can get expansion cards.

Something like this seller could work as well. It's a small PDA so good for checking and reading stuff but seller also has a bluetooth keyboard for sale so it can be used to type into if you need it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HP-iPAQ-H4150-PDA-with-1GB-SD-Card_W0QQitemZ300328057919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_PDAs_JN?hash=item45ecf27c3f&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|293%3A1|294%3A50

If you do a search on ebay, filter it for the geographically nearest and see if you can go and check them out first. I'd say the trick os to get stuff that is going out of fashion, or no longer cutting edge. I've been using a Nokia E90 for a while now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nokia-E90-Communicator-Cellular-Phone_W0QQitemZ220448453663QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MobilePhones_MobilePhones?hash=item3353c0741f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1690|293%3A1|294%3A50

It's pretty good, bit of a brick for a phone but still smaller than the Psion. I've used it to store EMLRA newsletters in Adobe pdf format and plenty of Word documents. Wonder if there is a Clansman wind up charger for it?

Oh crikey I'm getting really befuddled now Wayne. These words like psion, PDA etc are, I'm afraid, lost on me & reasonable as the suggestions are I can see a whole new learning curve getting into it all. With that comes the time taken doing it which could be spent doing other things.

Maybe if I could see one of these things in use it would mean more. Perhaps you could show me at W&P?

I like the phone method as that is always with me & the ability to check on a document at any time, rather than remembering to bring another contrivance with me.

The problem at present is getting rid of the "turn off full screen" icon. I can drag it to the side of the document but the trouble is when I save the screen shot it transfers the document page with big margins which still contains the icon.

So I'll put up with the icon stuck somewhere on the document. The problem remaining is that these A4 documents when displayed cut off some of the top or bottom.

Is there a way to display the entire height of the document so nothing is lost when saving to paste the full screen shot?

I know I could re-write the lists so that they are shorter but that is a pain, particularly as they are frequently updated with new additions. I don't want to dispense with the full A4 versions as that is what I print off & use in the office for quick reference, which is far easier than using the PC or fiddling around with the phone images.

Think of the PDA as a palm sized laptop, fortunately the way you use stuff these days is very similar to PC's, click on a file name to open it etc, all icon based, so apparantly meant to be intuitive :)

Can't help you on the specifics of this ful screen icon, is this something that has been saved within the picture itself, or is it something that the phone is doing to tell you that you are looking at a smaller section of the image? If it's within the pic then it can be edited out and resaved. If it's the phone doing it, then you'll probably get something similar on most things when you look at a small portion of the pic, unless there is an options to stop displaying it in the phone manual.

I still think you could do better by saving the important info as a text file of sorts so it can be viewed, searched and scrolled easier. Or print it off in small font and carry as a couple of A4 sheets. No need to worry about batteries or user instructions that way. Still don't like getting wet though and the edit feature is one time only.

Not doing Beltring, will be at RAF Leuchars in the Pinkie later though, is that too far apart? :) Who is the duty Chinook pilot for that week?

Going back to a document option, can you save the Word file as something like a .txt or a .rtf file. It'll be at the top left of the screen under File. Then "Save As" and then choose "File Type" and select text (.txt) or Rich Text File (.rtf)

What is the make of phone? Perhaps your version of Word is newer than the mobile phone likes, in which case, try the same as above but choose another vesrion of Word, such as Word2007 or 98 or 2002 etc. All small differences but I've had new version of Word not wanting to play so I've had to open them in a legacy format, or just copy as a text file and leave any of the odd Word formats behind.

How do you copy to the phone, is it cabled to the PC with it's own software?

Wayne, shame you won't be at Belters where you can join in being a small fish in a big pond. At least to your credit your not being at W&P is not because you are at one of those Land Rover shows. I took the Shorland to one of those LR mag ones & it really was not my my sort of event at all. Anyway!

Yes of course I could crop the jpg before sending it to the phone, I'll try that. I do have a blue dingle dongle or something & that is a headache. So I am saving the stuff into a micro SD card then fitting it back in the phone.

The documents are already in 10pt, I could in any case put those in 8pt as I have to put glasses on to read it & it will be less paper to lug around.

Thanks for help.

Ah just twigged. When I am in Word, I then go to full screen, then paste with the Print Screen button. That transfers to the phone just fine.

Now if I could find a way to get ride of the "close full screen" icon as that could block out some text.

The simplest method I can think of is...

If your text is already in A4 ish size,then highlight the text, right click, select 'copy', the open paint, then click edit button, then select 'paste' and tada! there is your text without surrounds, just select 'file', then 'save as' and save it as a monochrome image, title it if needed and there is your text jpeg.

hope that helps

The simplest method I can think of is...

If your text is already in A4 ish size,then highlight the text, right click, select 'copy', the open paint, then click edit button, then select 'paste' and tada! there is your text without surrounds, just select 'file', then 'save as' and save it as a monochrome image, title it if needed and there is your text jpeg.

hope that helps

Yes it does, you is de man! :thumbsup:

It does just what I wanted & is fairly simple which is important as I have a lot of pages to convert. It will be particularly useful when I am not on an official book hunt & something crops up. Many thanks, I think now I need to get a new front screen as the vertical crack is along the document codes.

Paul, I think I have powerpoint but never used it but anyway the problem is solved.

Many thanks to all for advice.