what colour scheme for 1955 RAF Scammel Explorer?

tankmaniac

My 1961 Antar never had the bonnet top painted yellow, it has only ever been blue grey, Same for the tool box lids, etc. Only yellow is to the Cab roof, and as I said earlier, it was supplied with blue gray roof, and at some later time it was painted yellow...

Edited by antarmike

Well here is a turn up for the books, I did ask Tankmaniac if he knew the original RAF reg number for his Explorer but to date he hasn't replied. I learnt today from a contact of mine that 43BT30 was one of a batch of 4 transferred to the army. 43BT30 was originally 07 AH 49 In my post where I quoted from AMO 32 I mentioned at the foot of the message 07 AH 49 served at RAF Chivenor and was painted yellow. There is in fact an in-service photo of it at Chivenor on another forum.

TED

Very good!

thanks indeed.

i was too busy cleaning and sanding the scammel to check the forum for replies.

Thats great, so it was actually 07AH49 and was at Chivenor... and there is a pic online! top stuff.

it's going to be Raf blu/ grey in a few days though...!

We will then decide whether it gets a white top or yellow upper surfaces.

Certainly it has yellow in many many places, including the axles.

cheers

Matt Carey

07AH49 in 1969 operated mainly on the airfield at RAF Chivenor on aircraft salvage duties and was painted overall yellow.

Somewhere on your vehicle will be a plate with its original RAF reg number which should be **AH ** The BT is an Army reg number, BT being allocated to vehicles transferred to the Army from either the RAF or RN .

Hope this is useful

TED

Thanks for this Ted.

I will have a look tomorrow for the AH number.

Great to know what its original RAF number was and that it was, indeed all yellow (i am living and breathing these layers of paint as i sand hrough them! ahhh, you gotta love history!)

Keen to see a photo of it back then.

So now i have its RAF number i may have some luck find even arlier information and photos than 1969 ?

thanks

Matt Carey