Rover 10 NAAFI wagon

Rick W

There is a Rover 10 NAAFI wagon on evilbay at the moment. Ive never heard of them, has anyone got any info or pics? Its under classic cars not military by the way.

Lots of civilian cars were converted during the war to all sorts of uses, my Father was with the local fire service at start of the war and converted a Wolsely car into a fire tender, it carried ladders and equipment and towed a trailer pump

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-10-EX-MILITARY-NAFFI-VAN-ONE-FORMER-KEEPER_W0QQitemZ150349958002QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item23018e4b72&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A7|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Edited by Nick Johns

Found this on the Life Magazine site of a simular style mobile canteen vehicle

YMCAteacar.jpg

The Y. M. C. A. tea car outside King Zog's house is driven by his two nieces who help in the village by doing W. V. S. work. Location: United Kingdom Date taken: 1944 Photographer: David E. Scherman

China2.jpg

Edited by abn deuce

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Nice pics ABN,Not sure our Rover fits the bill,think the owners been drinking to much tea.More like a mobile knife sharpener or the like,any one else got any ideas,as Nick said without the grill its difficult to say if its post war or not.

Naafi wagon production line:rofl:

Papworth20A16-1small.jpg

Ok so what vehicles were they,why was wood so popular and what is the link between these and other military vehicles.:-D

Well done Ted,but why was wood so popular and whats the link with other militarys from papworth.cw.

C W in those days virtually everything with any form of coachwork had a timber frame . Post war all the Goddess fire truck of which many were made by Papworth timber frames. In 1970 we rebuilt the front of a Bedford CF RAF ambylance much of it was timber framw.

The RAF's first RR b series powered fire truck The MK 5 had a timber frame.

Papworth have made stuff for all manner of people military civil WW2 services private customers you name it they have done it. post WW2 they did a mass of work for Austin.

TED

Well done again ted it was the Goddess fire trucks i was after,

I believe the Austin woodys were good for export so giving Austin an advantage for steel as it depended on how well your exports were doing,a bit like the L/rover story.

• 2 weeks later...

Seen this thread rather late but I'm going to jump in anyway (entirely shameless!)

An ex-army ice-cream van, wow! They really looked after the troops didn't they?

I bet the guys in Iraq would have liked one of them on call!

Incidentally, in an almost unrelated story - a friend of mine has told his kids that when the ice-cream van plays the jingles, it means that they have run out of ice-cream and there is therefore no point asking him for money......

Seen this thread rather late but I'm going to jump in anyway (entirely shameless!)

An ex-army ice-cream van, wow! They really looked after the troops didn't they?

I bet the guys in Iraq would have liked one of them on call!

Incidentally, in an almost unrelated story - a friend of mine has told his kids that when the ice-cream van plays the jingles, it means that they have run out of ice-cream and there is therefore no point asking him for money......

Oh that's EVIL!! :cool2:

I LIKE this man already, & I have never net him! Another word for it is 'Thrifty'! :rofl: