Which show is better????

Hi guys,

After bumping into CT and Pat at Trucks and Troops we started to talk about Horndean and Trucks and troops and which show is better.

So here is my two questions

If i were a member of the public which show is better for me to visit, value for money, what to see and do etc

If I was a Vehicle Owner which show would be best for me to take my pride and joy to?

Please no politics, just your honest answers.

Thanks

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Having attended both,i think as far as the public is concerned Horndean has to be the winner,the arena events drew large crowds,lots of noise re inacting etc just what the punters and there kids want.

As far as vehicles concerned Horndean has allways had a very relaxed atmosphere

and friendly banter especially if your camping.

T&t probably had the edge on vehicles but as i rode around the arena listening to the comentary i wondered why we were bothering as there were very few public interested,but understandably really riding round in circles on tarmac not awe inspiring really.

rolling thunder usually make a big bang and there presense felt but it cant be done at this venue,so back to Horndean next year you know you miss it.:-D

There must be more members that visited the two shows other than CT, come on guys lets hear what you have got to say.

CT When you said that TT won on the vehicle front did you mean because of the number of vehicles there or the fact that they had more exotic toys at the show?

I would like to attend both shows, but as they are both on at the same time, I have to make a decision. For me, Trucks & Troops wins. Pity all the organisers cannot get things sorted out, as it us enthusiasts that lose out.

There must be more members that visited the two shows other than CT, come on guys lets hear what you have got to say.

CT When you said that TT won on the vehicle front did you mean because of the number of vehicles there or the fact that they had more exotic toys at the show?

I think it was the variety but only just,Horndean had of course non Military vehicles which i like adds a different dimension.TT is very expensive for the public to come just for the Mil vehicles.In fact a lot of the public didnt realise there was a whole field of vehicles past the arena,maybe some never made it at all.Having paid for a familly ticket they of course had to cram all the other attractions in to get there moneys worth.I dont know why but i just feel this combination doesnt work very well.WOA2 is of course right this stupid double booking doesnt benefit either party,putting the polotics aside maybe we should as punters black list both till they get there act together,now theres a novel idea.

I felt that Horndean had crammed a lot in this year,i didnt like the restricted space along the back of the arena where some of the traders were,i was trying to talk to a arms dealer i only see a couple of times a year and it proved a bit difficult with all the noise.

I really only went to TT for the champ camp,which was dissapointing as a few didnt turn up with lame exscuses such as no brakes,one even went train spotting,i think naming and shameing is in order.All in All i would plump for Horndean,the shows are turning into Landrover shows though

i supose with the credit crunch etc it makes sense ,maybe i have just been going for to many years.Just my opinion.:-D

lets have one big venue, and maybe a few different people calling the shots. 2 shows on the same wkend , whats that about. it sounds like the buddy brigade, my private army. come on sort it out its all playground stuff. but what a show it could be. i would love to get involved more , but all im good at is health and safety with heavy plant. tracked stuff mainly. us little people need to shout louder

I have been to neither. So will not comment on quality. I think it is always a shame when events "clash" but the organisers have only the one calendar to work with. I have to say I'd always pick an event with Rolling Thunder on the menu; but I am a tad biassed. I think it is vitally important we have variety and choice in where we go and should support all the people organising these things. They deserve credit. But the fact is the calendar rules. My employer has a habit of filling mine up and there are other things to do, so I don't get to many shows. Keep those opinions coming please.

MB

Having only really got into MVs this year (through my relaxation method of building kits of British MVs of all types of the NW Europe 1944 era) I spotted in CMV that these two shows were on.

Having been to other events at Beaulieu and on the whole been impressed I did consider T&T. However with it having been a busy weekend for other reasons, I plumped for Overlord on the Monday with it being less than an hour's easy drive from Fleet. I was glad I did! Excellent variety of vehicles (despite the fact that a good few had left by that day); nice arena with a pit to make it a bit more interesting; very warm welcome; incredibly reasonably priced entry(not knowing in advance but I also guessed that entry to T&T would be a lot more pricey!); good car park access which made it nice and easy to go to an fro rather than having to lug all my camera gear all the time. Plus since putting the pics up on my website and getting in personal contact with the organisers, I got some really nice comments for what was my first all MV event. That is a sure way to encourage return visits to an event.

I now know that Overlord is always on the Bank Holiday weekend nearest to 6th June and I will definitely be back there in 2010 (on the Saturday or Sunday this time!)

Having, in the past, been to both T&T (the 1st one)- and Overlord, (for the last four), as a visitor, I enjoy Horndean more;

Obvoiusly, the entry is one factor,- although, this year, I knew as an MVT member I could have got into T&T free,.........where as in past I've had free entry into Overlord, I still prefered to spend my time/money at Horndean, and, am looking into taking Bedford to event next year,.......something I've not even remotly thought about doing for T&T.

I guess it comes down to, well, for me, anyways, :), the feel of the shows, and Horndean feels friendlier.........( and I get to be abused by Rosie, on the gate.............:cool2:)

( only kidding, Rosie..........)

Each to their own, I guess.

Andy

Sounds like Horndean is the winner so far, they are abvously doing something right to keep public and MV owners happy for all these years. So it seams its not just the cost of entry to the show its what's there and how MV owners are recieved. May be its because Horndean has been going longer that people support it even in the mud. anymore coments on either show?

thanks

I have been going to the Overlord Shows organised by MV enthusiasts from the Portsmouth area on that May Bank Holiday for 25 years.

I have enjoyed them all.

I can see no reason to discontinue going.

I think its allways had the edge for being relaxed,any excess moneys from the gate

go to charity,This year help for heroes,TT feels like a bit of extra window dressing

to bring punters in for the Musuem.i am not knocking the organisers they do a lot of hard work ,We need as many people as poss to arrange shows the more shows the better.This conflict over this wk end could go on forever,my loyaltys are with Horndean,i must admit though the Name SOE at the time did cause a stir and a lot of people were critical of it due to obvious reasons,I am not entirely happy with it myself.But then who am i.Long may it continue.CW.