conqueror

paulob1

Okay here's a tricky question...I may just have access to one and am thinking of buying it...anyone any idea if parts are available and what the cost of a full ground up restoration would be...most parts are on it but the tin worn has had its day with the flimsier parts, skirts bins and things...

Ouch thats a bit steep...I can only imagine its a bit of heavy enginering nothing at all special....big engine, (little) wheels big tank...massive track, was supposed to be really good off road....hmm maybe I will have to consider my options here, it will surely be worth only a few quid once complete so it would have to be a labour of love...perhaps I will just have it as a gate guard, tart it up and leave it at that...

Ouch thats a bit steep...I can only imagine its a bit of heavy enginering nothing at all special....big engine, (little) wheels big tank...massive track, was supposed to be really good off road....hmm maybe I will have to consider my options here, it will surely be worth only a few quid once complete so it would have to be a labour of love...perhaps I will just have it as a gate guard, tart it up and leave it at that...

having worked with the one at Duxford are you sure you really want it? Agreed it would be stunning on the show circuit and its my personal favourite tank but the practicalities of owning one are astronomical

And have you thought how you are going to transport a 65-68 Ton , 13 feet wide monster??

If it needs restoration and particularly £150,000 worth it may be a long time before he needs to move it anywhere.

You offering your services with the Antar, by any chance Mike? :whistle:

You'd have to give serious consideration to what is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity to own such a vehicle. Although it sounds like a lot of work and a lot of money, if you've got the time and can keep the enthusiasm to spread it over say 10 years or more, it seems more doable. What's the rush?

(Normandy 75th?)

Hardly applicable for Normandy! If you restore it yourself, it will obviously cost a lot less but don't understimate the amount of work required.

The engine and transmission are peculiar to Conq and are not overly plentiful and though I don't know which particular tank you are referring to, they all need a lot of work before they will go again.

Now if I had enough money to buy and restore a Conqeror, there may just be enough left in the pot for a 150 Acre plot in Lincs and I could just drive it around and around on my land. I wouldn't care if it never went out anywhere, people could come and see me....and we would all enjoy private drive it days....(then I woke up!!!)

No sorry not offering Transport. (when I win a lot of money and Buy an Oshkosh and 7 axle trailer......) The Antar is totally the wrong vehicle for todays road conditions, and My trailker couldn't carry one anyway!

Edited by antarmike

You may be aware that John Atlee has decided not to take a tank or his Constructor anywhere this year. When I talked to him, he cited the stress of being out on the road with A Conqueror behind as one reason why he wanted a year away from all that agro....

hmm am still not totally off the idea...as I say it could just be my labour of love and i do have 200 acres in guildford already...perhaps i could put rubber pads on it and drive it around...I cannot see why the bodywork will not polish up quiete nicely and then getting the engine running just to show that it does would be good enough for me...to be able to move it a few feet once a year would be a bonus of course...well let me do the deal first and see how it all progress.

Hardly applicable for Normandy! If you restore it yourself, it will obviously cost a lot less but don't understimate the amount of work required.

The engine and transmission are peculiar to Conq and are not overly plentiful and though I don't know which particular tank you are referring to, they all need a lot of work before they will go again.

All right I was getting carried away, hadn't realised they weren't introduced til 1955 despite starting design in 1944. Bet there's a few jeeps in Normandy that were made later than that.

Is the basic running gear not the same as the smaller Centurion, just with a more powerful engine?

Several years ago now - must have been mid 80's - there were a couple recovered from the firing ranges just down the road from me - I think one went to Duxford & the other was going to be swapped with the Russians (? I think , not certain now) for something interesting . I keep meaning to trawl through my pics to find the ones I took after they had been pulled out - unfortunately in those days all my photo's were 35mm slides so I also need to get myself one of those little scanners . We also saw the remains of a very sad DUKW and what had once been a couple of Bren Carriers pulled out at the same time . Also a very very flat F1 Vauxhall Victor !

Seem to remember that at the time the whole thing was treated as a major recovery exercise by the REME & that there were some enormous holes in the ground where their ground anchors had dug in .

Somebody tell me I'm remembering corrrectly & not completely lost the plot :-D

Somebody tell me I'm remembering corrrectly & not completely lost the plot :-D

Your memory is fine!

They both went to Duxford. One become the runner I referred to earlier (and have driven :D) the other was "done up" by the Duxford friends and exchanged with Russia for an IS 2. IMHO there was rather an embarrasing difference in quality between the two, perhaps explaining why not much further action on the exchange programme.

The IS2 even had all its guns live when it came over!

Your memory is fine!

They both went to Duxford. One become the runner I referred to earlier (and have driven :D) the other was "done up" by the Duxford friends and exchanged with Russia for an IS 2. IMHO there was rather an embarrasing difference in quality between the two, perhaps explaining why not much further action on the exchange programme.

The IS2 even had all its guns live when it came over!

<PLUG> The one we have in the museum is coming out and is expected to run at our show in a couple of weeks time ;) </PLUG>