A Few 432 / 433 questions

diggerdog36

Im new to this forum and was just looking for some answers to my questions.

1. Why dont 432's and 433's require MOT's

2. Are they tax exempt and if so, why?

3. Where is the best place to buy one from?

Thanks guys.

1/ They don't come under the scope of a normal M.O.T. on the grounds of being over weight i.e. over 3.5 tons. They are not subject to an LGV test mainly because they are not goods vehicles? Because of this the responsibility for it being roadworthy rests fully with the person driving it on the road.

2/ They are tax exempt on the basis of being manufactured before 1 January 1973, and hence are all Historic vehicles. Whether this would apply if used for hire on the road, I am unsure?

3/ Private ads or dealers, but get advice from people on this Forum who run them for the pros and cons, and what to look for?

Jules

1. They don't require an MOT because it's not possible to test them.

2. They were built before 1973 and are therefore tax exempt.

3. A few years ago you could buy them for £2000+vat in a tender sale, now you're only option is to pay £6000-8000+ for one privatley.

Chris

FV433's (Abbots) are all long since released, so your only option id to buy one from a fellow collector.

Try to avoid ex-corporate ones as they will have had a hard life and will need a lot of work.

The FV433 pack is different to that of the FV432, and difficult to find if yours goes bang.

Some parts are interchangeable, but not all.

FV432 is still in service. Most are converted to Mk3, and will not be released for some time, if ever.

Some have not yet been converted, and may be released at some point, anyones guess.

Plenty are about in private hands and often come up for sale on forums, in publications or even on EBay!

FV432 engine packs are easy to find and cost around £1000.

Both are great vehicles and I would recommend either.

I hadnt dismissed the 434!

How longs a piece of string question time!!

1. How much would I expect to pay for road insurance, is it the same as a car, Fully Comp or TPF&T. Im 27 no points would be kept off the road

2. How much roughly would a low loader hire be from Leeds to Kent?

3. Are they generally reliable, I owned loads of ex-mod land rovers and they are pretty reliable, but am I in for a financial nightmare?

To point 3, they are just as reliable as a Land Rover, if used fairly often and kept well serviced.

The main difference is the size and weight of the components!

It is also worth thinking about how you will maintain it. Most jobs on FV430's engines require the pack to be removed.

Do you have access to lifting equipment to do this (friendly farmer with telehandler or matbro)?

What ever you decide, we want to see pictures when you get it!