Another Scammell Explorer Thread- XSK460

picture.php?albumid=117&pictureid=1147

I have also met other fellow Scammellers;:beer:

'gritineye'- I contacted you many, many, many moons ago, when I had done my rear diff in.... I also had a natter with you at last years W&P show- I was the fella who was snooping around your scammell trying to eye up the cummins conversion, as well as the short prop rig up on next doors eagle powered explorer!:bow:

'rbrt crowther'- I chatted with you and your good lady at GDSF about three years ago- you hadnt long got your explorer home... from Mamby, if my memory serves me correctly??? :wave:

picture.php?albumid=117&pictureid=1152

That really is a deep hole- Front axle is earning its keep!!!

I've also met the owner of 'Tigger', an explorer that I seriously considered buying, even though it was probably one of the biggest bags of s*** that I looked at!:cry:

The bloke from Dorchester had done a real job of sorting it all out when I saw it at GDSF in 2007:bow: and he was a little suprised when I asked if it was the one from Hawick. It was now re-registered, painted up, and bodily/mechanically sorted- so he was well chuffed when I gave him credit where it really was due!!!!! :clap::bow::clap::bow::clap:

When I had gone to view it, it had gone dark by the time we arrived.:argh: However, it was still plain to see in the glow of car headlights, that it was 'very sore' on the tin and wood work side of things.

It had obviously had a very hard life, as the gear gate had broke off and was splinted with wood and rope. The back of the gearbox was supported in a C section frame off the chassis, picking up the dropbox casing bolts, as the rear mountings had been smashed off. The front tyres really were as bald as a coot, and the rears were well and truly perrished...:undecided:

It did however sound absolutely amasing, as 'big chris' will no doubt agree- the turbo'd Leyland 680, cracked up straight away on a 10p piece and then the whole thing sat there purring away like a big diesel loco.... If I could of only managed to get a gear or two and drive the damm thing around a bit... I'd have bought it there and then!:nut:

'gritineye'- I contacted you many, many, many moons ago, when I had done my rear diff in.... I also had a natter with you at last years W&P show- I was the fella who was snooping around your scammell trying to eye up the cummins conversion, as well as the short prop rig up on next doors eagle powered explorer!

Hi, yes I remember you Steve, you fancied buying Forceful when he was at Keith Gotts place, your girlfriend of the time did me a favour by not likeing Scammells! I was impressed with the sensible way you dealt with the axle failure, Forceful is looking with envy at that shiney exhaust stack! :thumbsup:

Hi, yes I remember you Steve, you fancied buying Forceful when he was at Keith Gotts place, your girlfriend of the time did me a favour by not likeing Scammells! I was impressed with the sensible way you dealt with the axle failure, Forceful is looking with envy at that shiney exhaust stack! :thumbsup:

Cheers! It is good to be memorable- even though the rear diff episode was a right pain in the a**e....:argh: P.S. I still have the old landy mag somewhere with the Keith Gott ad, advertising forceful!!!:coffee:

Edited by xsk460

Hi Steve , love the Explorer and have enjoyed your you-tube videos !:-D

Cheers mate! I've got a load of stuff that I've never got around to putting on there, too.... including a good one with me setting off home with my new R.E. 20t Dyson Plant Trailer on tow.:cool2:

Edited by xsk460

Hi there have been trying to remember who you are. Think i've got it now found a number on the missus phone "Steve Scammell" so it must be yours.:idea:

That's the one... :tup:: I think we were stood chacting next to an explorer with a 'thrown back prop- a maroon one from the dorset heavy horse centre.... I also seem to remember that your missus was wearing black leather strides- funny how some thinks stick in your mind!!!:nut:

P.S. Hows the Meadows Diesel treating you?

Meadows is fine at the mo. I have had to remove the batterys to stop me from starting it up and listening to the exhaust note. Need to keep working not dreaming. That maroon Scammel was still driving round on the front propshaft last year. Sad really:cry:

• 2 weeks later...
It's taken me ages,:computerrage: but I suppose I should start yet another explorer thread..... this time for my XSK460....

xsk 460 was once owned by paul (piggy) thompson from gretton nr corby northants. He worked it very hard doing off road demontrations for pro trax 4x4 corporate events . Good to see it still going strong . :-D

• 3 weeks later...
xsk 460 was once owned by paul (piggy) thompson from gretton nr corby northants. He worked it very hard doing off road demontrations for pro trax 4x4 corporate events . Good to see it still going strong . :-D

I guessed that someone had had a lot of fun with it- lots of battle scars! Someone sent me some pics of it on a 'mud run' in the early 1990's, i'll have to dig them out and get them on here.

Hi Steve. If your Explorer used to belong to Paul Thompson I remember it being featured more than once in the now defunct '4x4 Magazine'. As I remember, the tinwork was getting bad but he was using it off-road and loving it. Might be worth keeping a lookout for some of these mags at shows etc. This would be maybe 15-20 yrs ago. Glad to see you still use it properly. :clap:Cheers. Daz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...