Belvoir Castle Steam Rally 16th and 17th May

As predicted it was sunshine, showers, sunshine and more showers which ultimatly curtailed Sunday afternoon as the showers became really heavy at one point.

There was once again a good military presence with a range of different vehicles and also some reenactors. There were also a number of ex-military vehicles around the show site.

Below are the first few pictures from the weekend, these ones being armour. I will put some more on tomorrow/later on in the week.

036.JPG

032.jpg

039.jpg

069.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

037.jpg

002.jpg

There certainly was a good selection there Stormin. Surprisingly there wasn't that much trouble and we drove pretty much straight out at 5pm in the Gipsy.

Even though the ground was wet it held up pretty well from what I could see. Unlike the old show field where one year went down in history for how bad things got!!!

The next few pictures are Jeeps, an AFS Land Rover, a Dodge, another Ferret and a former Civil Defence Austin Gipsy.

044.jpg

058.jpg

057.jpg

006.jpg

001.jpg

070.jpg

045.jpg

There certainly was a good selection there Stormin. Surprisingly there wasn't that much trouble and we drove pretty much straight out at 5pm in the Gipsy.

Even though the ground was wet it held up pretty well from what I could see. Unlike the old show field where one year went down in history for how bad things got!!!

The next few pictures are Jeeps, an AFS Land Rover, a Dodge, another Ferret and a former Civil Defence Austin Gipsy.

Well you wouldn't have struggled in a Gypsy, nice and light and four wheel drive, I was thinking of the heavier civilian stuff and transporters.

Nice tidy vehicle by the way, haven't seen many in ex military guise.

Well you wouldn't have struggled in a Gypsy, nice and light and four wheel drive, I was thinking of the heavier civilian stuff and transporters.

Nice tidy vehicle by the way, haven't seen many in ex military guise.

They were ok as well TBF again from what I saw before we left. There is a hard standing road not far off the field so it's a not to bad a getaway.

Looks like a well attended show mate ! Thanks for taking the time to share your photos with us ! :-D

No probs Andy :tup::. Attached are the next set which include a lovely restored MACK. Will add the last few pictures tomorrow evening.

004.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg

030.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

Given the registration number is the Gypsy ex AFS?

If it is then a bit of a shame to see it restored as ex military.

Yes it is an AFS reg. The Army ones are much rarer beast and have quite a few differences. I had assumed that it was one of the 1997 Measham sale batch but this is not the case. The chassis no. should be 16228 according to "The Green Machine" this was sold to a 'P Warner' prior to 1995 and the Gipsy Register chassis list has it owned by 'A Leyland'.

It looks very tidy though. This years Gipsy Owners Club rally is in Halifax at the end of June. If anyone is interested give me a shout for details.

Right then, onto the last batch of photos from last weekend. This time it is a few different vehicles of interest that were scattered around the show site and the rest of the military section.

011.jpg

010.jpg

019.jpg

052.jpg

054.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

Yes it is an AFS reg. The Army ones are much rarer beast and have quite a few differences. I had assumed that it was one of the 1997 Measham sale batch but this is not the case. The chassis no. should be 16228 according to "The Green Machine" this was sold to a 'P Warner' prior to 1995 and the Gipsy Register chassis list has it owned by 'A Leyland'.

It looks very tidy though. This years Gipsy Owners Club rally is in Halifax at the end of June. If anyone is interested give me a shout for details.

Thought it was and agree about the military ones,I dont ever recall seeing one.

Is that an excuse though to depict a vehicle as something it isnt?

I persume that as it came from Crouch's Recovery that it used to be a recovery vehicle and this was the colour that it used to be in. Still a cracking machine all the same:-D

This was the colour it ran in when first sold into Council plough service. Apparently it had been preserved for many years by the superceding 'yellow' Council until a "bean counter" objected to the annual 2hrs fitter's time booked to give it a run up, so the poor thing was outed as soon as the caring transport guy retired (net saving -£0 :n00b:)

It has such a strong local history that the new owners decided to return it to this colour. They've even had the ram reconditioned so the (huge) plough can be used again :-D

As has been said before, it's good that a small number of trucks are restored in their civvy clothes - they spent far more time wearing them than the o.d. fatigues :cool2:

Great selection of MVs here - good photos!!

Thought it was and agree about the military ones,I dont ever recall seeing one.

Is that an excuse though to depict a vehicle as something it isnt?

I am more interested in seeing things used, who can say what is "correct" for any vehicle. Ultimately it is up to the owner to paint it how they like, even if it is a "D-Day Hotchkiss". Is it correct to depict a Pioneer as a WW2 wrecker if it spent the vast majority of its working life as a civvy wrecker?

As for Army Gipsys, there were 15 short and 5 long wheelbase. I know of one of each complete and one swb chassis with a normal body.

LWB

img0619gk7.jpg

img0620xm3.jpg

SWB

img0623nz8.jpg

1050600imggb7.jpg

standard body on army chassis

8320060624097oa0.jpg

Edited by croc

I am more interested in seeing things used, who can say what is "correct" for any vehicle. Ultimately it is up to the owner to paint it how they like, even if it is a "D-Day Hotchkiss". Is it correct to depict a Pioneer as a WW2 wrecker if it spent the vast majority of its working life as a civvy wrecker?

As for Army Gipsys, there were 15 short and 5 long wheelbase. I know of one of each complete and one swb chassis with a normal body.

LWB

img0619gk7.jpg

img0620xm3.jpg

SWB

img0623nz8.jpg

1050600imggb7.jpg

standard body on army chassis

8320060624097oa0.jpg

True

The problem is though that if vehicles are depicted as something they are not this distorts history.

I agree about the comments of the Pioneer, it did however spend some of its life as a military vehicle, therefore it can be depicted as coming from that period.

Other vehicles, the Hotckiss again as an example and possible the Gypsy are distorting history and in the future may be passed of as original, this also applies to some of the canteen vehicles that are depicted as WW2 when they were converted after the war for the AFS.

I know that evey owner can do what he likes with his vehicle, but that does still not make it right to portray it as something as something it isnt.

Are 234 DYE and 82 ERL still owned by Mike Gilbert?

Mark

Yes they are, ERL is still looking good 10 years since Mike restored it. 244DYE is still in working order but is due for some tlc.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi

I am the guy who owns this gipsy you seem to have a problem with.

Maybe I should have left it rotting in the yard where I found it rather then spend 3 years of my life putting it back togeather and trying to keep these rare trucks going.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a problem with it, and, as it is not one of the "Measham" batch it looks remarkably good. Well done for keeping it going. Are you coming to the Gipsy Club rally near Halifax next weekend?

Remember, Jeeps and Landrovers are common as muck, a Gipsy is something special.

Edited by croc

The Gipsy is what Land Rover still aspire to build! Reliable Disiel engine, Reliable powerful petrol engine, Bomb proof gear box, with selctable Front wheel drive , only in the owner's manual, not on the actual gear box plate, and to crown it all ever so pretty!

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a problem with it, and, as it is not one of the "Measham" batch it looks remarkably good. Well done for keeping it going. Are you coming to the Gipsy Club rally near Halifax next weekend?

Remember, Jeeps and Landrovers are common as muck, a Gipsy is something special.

No I cant make it to halifax as the gipsy has a steering box problem (it goes where it wants to not where I want it to).