Kids "Ride On" day Grampian Transport Museum

Not a Military event, but more of this sort of thing should take place its great!

"Ride on" was held Sunday 3rd May at Alford, its a charity event, open to the general public and aimed at kids, so they can have a ride on allsorts of vehicles, this year there was a Dennis fire engine, Ambulance, Liebherr quarry loader, old buses, Corvette, Transam, BAA Fire response vehicle, Porsche, Crocs Scammell Explorer, Thomas the tank engine, Austin A30 a Morris 8 open tourer and my Humber Pig.

Joe public buys a ticket, and then lines up for a ride around the race track, the event running for 4 hours, most of the vehicles are privately owned, and the museum pays 30 pounds for fuel and a snack/drink from the stalls on site, they also temporarily own your vehicle for the period, covering it with their insurance.

Its an excellent day out, and the kids love it, and the parents even more!

I lost count of how many loads i took around, but i was getting 10 plus in at any one time, and a vendor somewhere was doing a roaring trade in plastic pistols and rifles, going by the amount of them getting poked out of the hatches shooting at Thomas the Tank Engine! they are a blood thirsty crowd in Aberdeenshire.

ride on at alford 038.jpg

ride on at alford 044.jpg

Crocs Scammell (Daddy i'm Scared!) Explorer, we were the only ones to take advantage of the fact that you could go off the track onto the surrounding grass verges, which was fun!

The ass engined nazi slot car, by comparison, was no fun at all apparently!

ride on at alford 055.jpg

ride on at alford 059.jpg

Nah, the little open topped Morris must have been older, although it wont be getting much older if he keeps trying to cut up armoured vehicles with it! he came close to being a little pile of scrap and splinters a couple of times.