Metal detectors - what do you use?

fv1609

Not yet eddy, but we shall see. Don't sell a tank to buy that ground pen radar, you would have to start up as a contractor to make use of it more. Cheaper to buy an excavator. I have my feelers out for a 'Hoard Hunter'. Also have rumour of a cache of buried Enfields (motorbikes) in a forrest. Intially got excited as thought rifles, and they wouldn't be damaged by weight of earth, but bikes certainly will.

Edited by diver99

hey dave working on your tan and playing at the same time, now that really is living the dream :D

clive i'll be looking on land, i've had a tip off about buried yank vehicles on an old airbase which are apparently 5 ft down and i also got chatting to an old boy that knows the location of a halifax crash site above glossop which he helped to clear when he was a lad but he told me 3 of the engines where left behind in the peat bog, which is worth looking into as it's only 5 miles away.

eddy

Eddy ok interesting stuff. I just wondered if it involved salt water as the majority of metal detectors, despite various claims, don't function very well or not at all in that medium. I like to search slightly in the water as the tide is going out as it makes it easier to kick the sand out of the way. Fresh water you'll be ok, but seriously don't get bogged down. Maybe go with someone with some rope just in case.

hey dave working on your tan and playing at the same time, now that really is living the dream :D

clive i'll be looking on land, i've had a tip off about buried yank vehicles on an old airbase which are apparently 5 ft down and i also got chatting to an old boy that knows the location of a halifax crash site above glossop which he helped to clear when he was a lad but he told me 3 of the engines where left behind in the peat bog, which is worth looking into as it's only 5 miles away.

eddy

its not that lot from the other forum is it?

Field marshall, do you go in slighlty deeper. Where people paddle and splash about, cold fingers makes their rings drop off?

WOI I don't go as deep as this chap although I have the same machine which is rated to function down to 200' BSL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFg6GUlA_CQ&feature=related

My last find was unearthed just with a screwdriver...............

IMAG0655a.jpg

......in the pump of my washing machine:rofl::rofl::rofl:

the airfield dig thread that turned really bitchy on warrelics and me and the guy that started it decided to end the thread, although calling everyone a bunch of idiots and saying it was all make believe was not my idea but that's what he posted so the thread got closed and we're still investigating the 2 large trenches full of yank vehicles and another one probably full of parts but before anyone gets too excited nothing has been confirmed yet as we're still waiting for some geofizz which is why i want to crack on and do it myself with a mine detector or something else cheap

eddy

hi Clive,

I too have recently 'delved' into the wonders of metal detecting, -thanks to my lovely fiancees Christmas present to me last year. I'm not sure, in the scale of things, where my detector falls in the 'Which' metal detector to buy, but it defineately works, it's light and easy to use, and discriminates well between precious/ferrous/non-ferrous quite well. the 1st time I used it, we found about £5 in pound coins and change, down on Calshot beach, amongst the shingle....

I think I'll be taking it with me to 'Overlord Show', this year, maybe I'll find some more loose change!..... or even some much needed saracen tools/parts! lol!

hope to see you there?

Regards,

Matt

Matt would be interested in seeing you machine. The skill of the operator is everything, sometimes you read great write ups of how much treasure, coins etc a particular machine has found & therefore must be the one to buy. But who knows, it could have been detected by a less expensive machine & with an appropriate operator maybe more could have been found!

The dilemma is with a large area to search, you know that if you lived to be 500 years old (yes I know people think I am that age) but you still wouldn't be able to search the area properly. So should one sweep rapidly over a large area & cover as much ground as possible, or meticulously do it section by section?

I usually do small sections intensely, then move of to another piece further away & repeat, trying to hit a hot spot & zoom in on that.

Sometimes I think where would a sensible operator go, then choose somewhere quite different as it less likely to have be 'done'!

Sometimes I go where it has just been 'done' to see what someone else has missed. That is very satisfying. Even if you find nothing, I keep kneeling down to look as if I have!;)

I started out 30 years or so ago with a C-scope VLF TR 1000 updated to a C-Scope Metadec as soon as it was launched, that was the best detector I have owned bar none!

Lost that one in a house fire and replaced it with a Garrett GTA 500, a very nice detector. I decided to upgrade after a few years to the Garrett GTI2500. Although this was the top of the range Garrett detector at the time I find it much less user friendly than its predecessor, it takes a bit of getting used to especially when analysing signals...... I have not taken it out since losing touch with my metal detecting buddy around 6 years ago :(

I started out 30 years or so ago with a C-scope VLF TR 1000

Still got mine & still working, although drifting was always a problem. Lots of knobs & buttons to play with! It worked to a tolerable degree on wet sand.

I have an Ace 250 which is a good little machine for dry beach work.

But is hopeless in wet sand & I do hate motion detection.:argh:

For wet beach I use the Garrett Seahunter Mk2. Not only is this pulse induction, it is non-motion detection & I can strap the control box to my waist so much less tiring. Being completely waterproof even if I fall over & drop it in the sea there is no problem. I like the more rugged construction rather than the flimsy plastic of most machines. If it rains just carry on, no need to fiddle fitting little plastic covers over the controls.

just looked at the box,.... mine is an 'ORBITOR', Prospector T200.

Water resistant coil.

Auto calibration.

Auto discrimination between ferrous and non-ferrous.

LCD Backlit display.

Ear phone jack.

Does not rely on motion, so pinpointing is easy.

Detects coins to 9" deep, and larger objects to 30".:D

the airfield dig thread that turned really bitchy on warrelics and me and the guy that started it decided to end the thread, although calling everyone a bunch of idiots and saying it was all make believe was not my idea but that's what he posted so the thread got closed and we're still investigating the 2 large trenches full of yank vehicles and another one probably full of parts but before anyone gets too excited nothing has been confirmed yet as we're still waiting for some geofizz which is why i want to crack on and do it myself with a mine detector or something else cheap

eddy

I assumed the thread starter was a wind up merchant and everything was his idea of a joke

no he's definately serious, i have no doubt of that but whether he is correct or not i won't know until we dig it up but that's all taken care of and the dig should be done in august after the crop is out of the field, what's more if it does turn out to be a dump then the farmer has agreed to let me have the field for as long as i like :D

eddy

• 2 years later...