Intro to Alamotex

Intro to Alamotex

I have lived in Canada for the past 55 years,having emigrated from the UK after working for Shell Petroleum,following my National Service in the Gunners. Service in a British Royal Artillery HAA Regt gave me my first exposure to AA radar and in particular to the Canadian built MZPI, aka AA Radar No 4 Mk 6.

Some 50 odd years later I started a recreational research project looking into the role played by Canada in the development of centrimetric wavelength radar,and in particular the WW II project which resulted in the production of the GL III © AA gunlaying Radar...the very first centimetric wavelength mobile gunlaying radar to go into mass production during WW II.

It was only in July 2006, that two main components of GL III © system were discovered in the open storage yard of the RCA Museum in Shilo, Manitoba, Canada. Many of the original 1940's era electronic components are still in place. These units are almost certainly the only examples of the 667 originally manufactured in Canada,(1941-5) that still exist. Funds are lacking for proper care, preservation and partial restoration.

I, with the support of a few army radar enthusiasts are trying to arouse interest in getting some kind of preservation initiative off the ground. Along with this interest, pre NIKE air defence weaponry is in the mix.

Thats about it. Cheers Brian

Brian. I have quite a lot of EMERs on the No.4 Mk 7 but I don't know how it differs from Mk 6.

I am glad there are at least over there some early centimetric enthusiasts. I started fiddling around with X-band kylstrons in 1972. I also worked on (in the amateur sense) 70cm, 23cm, 13cm, 9cm, 5cm, 1.5cm, 1.2cm. Eventually I was running CW/SSB on 10Ghz. My main interest was tropo scatter.

But there was some interest from others on low power devices, kylstrons then Gunns going to sea level & doing super-refraction. It is amazing to see the wartime research on bands down to X across the Irish Sea from the Isle of Man. One can well see how the radar installed on a small boat or submarine had a greater over the horizon range than a battleship!

I dropped out of amateur radio about 20 years ago. I was using homebuilt gear with much waveguide feeding TWTs. However things have “moved on” apparently. Virtually no gear is home built now, most people are using professionally built solid state gear producing several watts on 10Ghz. These rigs cost several thousand pounds & when they pack up, they are sent back to Germany for repair.

I have accumulated a lot of WG16 & WG14 with components including kylstrons, power meters, slotted lines, wavemeters etc. But nobody seems interested in anything like that any more! Sickening when I had paid so much for stuff that I dismantled from radar systems in scrapyards! Eventually I'll sell it for scrap, but that somehow seems immoral!

Hi Clive thanks for the welcome. Judging from the number of posts you fellows have racked up, there must be very little new to say on this topic. I am more of a military history buff than a valves and resistors guy. My EMERS on the Mk 6 and Mk 7 are restricted to a few data summary sheets. The No 4 Mk 6 was developed and exclusively manufactured in Canada ,whereas the No 4 Mk 7 was a British version produced many years later . My Mk 6 EMER was issued Sept 1947 and the Mk 7 EMER was issued March 1960. One has to assume that technical advances were incorporated into the Mk 7. Certainly the slotted waveguide found on the original Mk 6 was not used on the Mk 7 .The EMER refers to a Durestos cheese and reflector. A similar antenna array was fitted to the final version of the Mk 6, better known by its NATO designation AN/MPS-501B. Brian

You are so right Tony...just tell that to the bureaucrats who oversee military museums in Canada!! .Can you suggest best forum on HMVF to give max exposure to WW II radar ? Much of the WW II kit was snapped up in the post war years and ended up in home made TV's and in ham radio shacks. Brian

Well we , that is Goldbeach Group are currently restoring a WS10 trailer. Be intrested in any info you might have on the Golden Arrow system. As for Forum sections, as yoi might have gathered everything rambles, bits and pices of info come in from all odd angles. Mind you with the Naval Section demanding an extension of the Club House duck pond and the runway being extended we will soon need a RADAR set up for trafic control.