Mil reg history

trevor pitman

sorry to hi-jack your post, what does BM stand for?

BM circa 1953-4 for 'B' Vehicles. Included some Brockhouse trailers, Tecalmit-Sentinel trailers, Militants, Macks, RLs, Leyland FV1100 series, Albions, Super Snipes, Vanguards & even some White half-tracks.

AV was used on lorries / trucks. Looking at Ruddington auction catalogues, there are Matadors, Hippos and Bedford RL's, all with AV numbers.

Hi Richard, I have found the registration number of the Diamond T 981 which my father drove, it is 24 YZ 65. Does this feature in any of the auction catalogues? It was last rebuilt in 1953 so it is purely an assumption but I think we would be looking at late fifties for disposal.

Hi Richard, I have found the registration number of the Diamond T 981 which my father drove, it is 24 YZ 65. Does this feature in any of the auction catalogues? It was last rebuilt in 1953 so it is purely an assumption but I think we would be looking at late fifties for disposal.

Hi Adrian,

The Ruddington catalogues I have are from the 1970's, no Diamond T's in there, although a lone Mack "tractor (LHD) with recovery hoop and winch 6x6", which I would think was probably a NO2, ex-Royal Navy 12RN14, sold in 1974

Flicking through a 1957 catalogue, quite a few ex-RAF Matadors going for as much as £750, Jeeps £60, AEC ACVs for £270 & 10-cwt trailers £170 for a dozen. Also a half-track "with radar equipment" withdrawn from sale.