American rocket base in Germany

ashley

Hi all,

long shot here... in the early seventies i remember visiting an American rocket base near Osnabruck in Germany it could not have been more than 1-1 1/2 hrs by the old Bedford bus (utility). Hoping ex serving members of the forces may know of location the old base as i doubt if it exist now, probably a housing estate.

cheers

Ashley

From what i remember this was not a very large base but kept at least 6 rockets fully armed and ready to fire in minutes.

At the time 1971-72 i thought it was strange to have US troops in the British zone, but by then we probaly had no rockets.

Ashley

• 2 weeks later...
Near the city of Darmstadt is a big American Military Base , only I don't know if it's a rocket base

I think your on about Leighton Barracks Wurtzburg, it was the home of the 1st US Infantry Division (Big Red One) until last year now its closed down and they've all moved out, shame as it was an excellent place to spend a weekend shopping in the PX and staying in the American guest house on camp, they had some very good bars on camp too.

Happy memories.

Are you sure that wasnt a site guard base that was supose to hold the missiles for 50 miserable regt. Run by the yanks but we all had to take turns sanger bashing.

could well be.... when i was there all i saw war US troops

Can you name the camp/barracks so i can look it up on google.

Ashley

Are you sure that wasnt a site guard base that was supose to hold the missiles for 50 miserable regt. Run by the yanks but we all had to take turns sanger bashing.

I dont think so. 50 Miserable was in Menden & the yank missile site wasnt' too far from thier camp. I too had to do sanger bashing when attached to 26 Engineers over one Christmas period. we were billeted in the attic of one of the blocks at Menden in 50's Barracks. Most boring! 50's & 26's camps have now been handed back to the German authorities, :argh: damm shame. :cry: I liked those barracks, original German pre-war camps. Had a few interesting 'finds' there.................:cool2:

Mike.

I dont think so. 50 Miserable was in Menden & the yank missile site wasnt' too far from thier camp. I too had to do sanger bashing when attached to 26 Engineers over one Christmas period. we were billeted in the attic of one of the blocks at Menden in 50's Barracks. Most boring! 50's & 26's camps have now been handed back to the German authorities, :argh: damm shame. :cry: I liked those barracks, original German pre-war camps. Had a few interesting 'finds' there.................:cool2:

Mike.

Hemer and Menden were the two names in my mind. I suspect Menden as you say was the camp and Hemer the site.

I also have an idea that 94 Locating were in the same camp, but I could be wrong.

Hemer and Menden were the two names in my mind. I suspect Menden as you say was the camp and Hemer the site.

I also have an idea that 94 Locating were in the same camp, but I could be wrong.

I was stationed at Hemer (Actually Dielinghofen) with 1 WFR & 2 Light Inf.

Next door were the Irish Rangers. All infantry units.

I went back years later whilst touring & it was the RTR in my old camp. I now hear from a Civvy friend in Hemer that the camps are closed & handed back to the German authorities. I belive they are building housed on the sites, what a shame. :-(

the rocket bnase was the other side of Menden, Couldnt tell you for the life of me where! :???

'finds'? care to share Mike?

German model 36 Steel helmet in an attic eaves. Also a Luger pistol.

Various buttons, general assualt badge, ammo, tins, bottles Etc.

There was a training area out the back of the camp manily used by the Bundeswher. Wartime disused rifle range there also. overgrown, but found many empty carts Etc. loads of postwar bundy pyro's ! :cool2:

Happy days.............:coffee:

Beats my 'finds' from normandy! let me know next time your going anywhere lol!!

Found some excellent stuff at Peenemunde (The original V2 Rocket base site in the North) also. I only kept one item from there though. I still have it, a large Luwtwaffe water pitcher. Funnily enough, I also found a lot of WWII Soviet stuf there too. Empty & complete cart cases, Ammo belts for the Maxim & bottles, tins Etc.

Up the road from one of my postings in a Town called Hagen. During the war there was a factory there which made german insignia, medals Etc. Going over the derilect site. I found various medal bar crossed swords, the centre from A Spanish Cross & tho halves of an Iron Cross 2nd class frame.

I also still have these. :yay:

Beats my 'finds' from normandy! let me know next time your going anywhere lol!!

I think Normandy is pretty well played out now. People are aware of what things are worth & also the Battlefileds & Beaches have been pretty well picked over. :(

Though Im sure things will still turn up....................:cool2:

Hi Ashley! you dont know the direction u drove away from Osnabrück?

We had some americans stationed here but on the netherlands terretory, means the NL guys had a Nike rocket base and IN IT an tiny american Base

with nuclear warheads, as it was forbidden to place nukes in germany! :-)

and in case of emergency they just had to screw the warheads onto the dutch Rockets and fire them onto russian Bomber formations - of course over german terretory, as the rockets just go for max 100KM!

Funny stuff!

There was a few of these camps around osnabrück!

Vörden, there is also A British Shooting Range, a training field, ....

Bad Essen

Rheine

and a few more i have to look for!

bastian

Hi all,

long shot here... in the early seventies i remember visiting an American rocket base near Osnabruck in Germany it could not have been more than 1-1 1/2 hrs by the old Bedford bus (utility). Hoping ex serving members of the forces may know of location the old base as i doubt if it exist now, probably a housing estate.

cheers

Ashley

Hi Ashley! you dont know the direction u drove away from Osnabrück?

bastian

Sorry gung i am afraid i can`t as it was nearly 40 years ago but as i mentioned we teavelled by the old military Bedford bus which didnt normally go too far from town.

Ashley