turret off at last

mvdepot

It weighs a 'lot' don't know how much 3 - 4 tons maybe with the main gun out... Next jobs are a big cup of tea and complete the strip down of it - all the time trying to find all the missing parts. Luckily we still have the WC16 resoration as a distraction, and currently preparing 5 vehicles to take to Normandy is hoovering up a lot of time....

• 4 months later...

Hi just to let you all know that we are still doing a bit to the sherman !!,nice weather was booked for sunday afternoon so we decided to set about the ring gear!! we had been putting this off due to the large amount of rusty painted bolts that we had to take out but they all yeilded in the end as you can see in the pics!!,should have space in the back of the workshop in autum i hope so we can get her shot blasted and start doing some serious work !!! thats all for now cheers

Adam

tank030-1.jpg

tank029.jpg

tank028.jpg

A worthy job!

Question:

Are you keeping the M4 in it's post war guise or are you returning it to 'factory' condition? Bit of a tricky decision as I suppose the post war mods are just as 'historically significant' as it's original condition. If pressed I'd say WW2 condition will prevail :)

PS. anymore info on that european spares source?

PSS. If you haven't already get a DSLR and take a stupid amount of photos, you will regret it in the future if you don't:cry:

The 'revised' target is no later than Normandy 2014.... There is a lot of work to do on the Sherman, and we are still short of a lot of parts for it. Luckily there is a queue of vehicles for restoration to keep us busy in the meantime.

Ken

• 1 month later...

While Adam composes a prosaic update.... The Sherman has moved forward about 40 feet and in to the 'blasting zone'. Once the space is cleared to get it in to the workshop, the plan is to blast it outside, and then put it in to the workshop for the last phase of the strip down. It's only one way then.... We will have reached the point where it is ready to be put back together. The global search for parts continues.

We have been distracted by a LWB GMC (to add to the distraction of the WC16 and the jeep which is nearly done) which has not helped, but we are hopeful that in the next 4 weeks or so, the Sherman will be in the shed at last....

First image is Adam and the GMC352 on Omaha, second one is of bacon fat substituting for sun cream and third, Adam, me and my son on Omaha. Any leads on Sherman parts will be gratefully accepted by any of us - especially seats, prop shaft, and a dashboard for radial engined Sherman.

Ken

IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2808.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sometime ago I found this photo of a M4 hybrid with small hatches and similar turret form as a Berg and Blankenship device (T6) a number of this device were used on Okinawa in 1945. The rarity of a M4 Hybrid with small hatches makes me wonder if there are any signs of a BB device being fitted to this tank especially as it was on the U.S. west coast. BBs were attached with large sheet steel horns fore and aft.

The photo comes from a sight marked Warrior Saga

Steve

t6 BB.jpg

Edited by steveo578

• 4 weeks later...

Mvdepot

Hi if you can get me some pics of the device

Photos of

1). T6 rear view in scrap yard showning rear mounting horns. (from Sherman -war data by David Eshel, tanks are incorrectly abributed as a RAOC scrap yard in Haifa-tanks shown are M4A3 W type not used by British.

2) From Pershing by Hunnicutt showing a knocked out T6 on Okinawa note the smaller horns on front plate.

Horns were crudly made from steel plate and welded to the hull fore and aft

Steve

T6-1.jpg

T6-2.jpg

T6-1.jpg

T6-2.jpg

Edited by steveo578
addition