What does BAFO & 3 MREU on the back of a Humber Utility mean

Morris C8

Apart the strange concept of calling something an "Army Tank", it should be Anti-Tank Guided Weapon. (As in my avatar, which contrary to believe is not a Malkara, but is an Orange William)

Strewth. I dunno how many times I read your original and read ANTI-TANK.

It's only now when it's pointed out that it smacks me in the face.

Apart the strange concept of calling something an "Army Tank"

It did help tremendously when we were transporting a Ram Kangaroo hulk from the UK to Holland. The customs officer scanned the from which described the load as "tank". He started to ask all sort of questions about the type of liquid the tank contained, until we mentioned "no, no, it´s an Army Tank". He then gave a sigh of relief, scribbled on the form and signed and stamped it. Off we went! (And the rest of the story can be read here: http://www.mapleleafup.org/vehicles/restorations/restore7.html.)

- Hanno

It did help tremendously when we were transporting a Ram Kangaroo hulk from the UK to Holland.

Yes it does depend where you are & who you are dealing with. American Ferret owners have terrible problems with some authorities wanting to describe a Ferret as a tank. I remember the surprise when I read the release papers for my Dutch Army Land Rover that was apparently a "Jeep".

I remember the surprise when I read the release papers for my Dutch Army Land Rover that was apparently a "Jeep".

That is because to 99% of the world´s population any 4x4 is a jeep. . . .

The current 4x4 utility truck of the Dutch Army, the Mecedes-Benz 290GD Geländewagen, is most commonly referred to as "jeep", quite often even as "MB jeep"!

H.

P.S. sorry to get off topic, although the 290GD shown below could be referred to as a descendant of the Humber Box . . . ;)

Mercedes-Benz 290GD 5KN algemene dienst.jpg

Edited by mcspool