What??

Willyslancs

Hmm - if you are right about that being some form of long "S" and not another "f" then "schiffstaffe" translates as "sailing ape" - so it reads "Flottillas Sailing Ape" ?????

No doubt appearing in the next Cadbury's advert!

Seriously, double s is normally portrayed in German as a character that I can't get my keyboard to do. Looks a bit like a capital B but with a dangly upright if that makes any sense at all (Joris - got a euro-keyboard?), so i think it must be 'FLOTILLA NAVIGATIONAL STAFF' - although I prefer your version:)

I'd concur with Flotilla Ship's Staff and conclude it is in fact the door to the Admiral's Day Room on the flagship, for running the flotilla as opposed to the main bridge where the ship's captain runs the ship.

But it's just a guess.

Look carefully at the difference between the lower case s and f. Until about the 19th century the two letters looked very similar in English too.

Actually the more I look it it, the more intrigued I become as the s at the start of Schiff is different from the s at the start of Staffe. ISTR a rule depending on whether the letter s is at the start or in the middle of the word, but I cannot see the differentiation in this case. I wonder if it's because Staffe is the main noun in the construct?

Edited by AlienFTM
Added a bit